About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Schedules and supervises daily staff work, schedules and conducts training programs, assists in hiring, performs complex clerical duties for the Accommodations Department, makes cash deposits, maintains sales reports and control records, maintains departmental files, performs related work as required.
- Responsible for the coordination, organization and functionality of the hotel front desk and reservations areas including all group and individual reservations as well as the night audit function.
- Plan and organize the work of classified staff by developing and revising work procedures recommending changes to clerical policy and procedures to supervisors and assisting with coordinating unit activities with units of the department.
- Develop, revise and with approval of supervisor, carry out work procedures in cooperation with other units of the department to ensure the efficient and effective flow of work.
- Interview applicants for classified positions and make recommendations to supervisor. Interview applicants for part-time, non-classified positions and fire with approval of supervisor.
- Conduct on-the-job training of assigned employees concerning routine classified and non-classified procedures, policies, etc.
- Develop training programs for new employees regarding assigned activities.
- Consolidate daily cash deposits, maintains reporting documents and issues and monitors all cash and change for this division in order to maintain cash control, ensure adherence to established policies. Prepare and summarize control documents and sales records using standard forms to provide financial data to the administration.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Function as Associate Director of the Accommodations Department in their absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school graduate with minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the hospitality or hotel operations industry.
- Extensive knowledge of hotel desk operation.
- Experience in progressively responsible general clerical work.
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Considerable knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Ability to keep complex records and to prepare periodic reports from such records.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping or some knowledge of statistics.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Ability to train and supervise employees in general hotel operations including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished.
- Motivate subordinates to work effectively.
- Familiarity with computer systems, both hardware and software.
Associate's degree in Business or Hospitality.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical Office Environment.
- This position is designated as essential personnel.
- Varies depending on department needs; may include evenings, weekends and holidays.
PSU-B; Grade 15
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit resume and provide contact information for three (3) professional references to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.