About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assist in day-to-day finance operations and is primarily responsible for computing, recording, collecting, analyzing and verifying numerical data for use in maintaining accounting records of the financial operations of the hotel.
- Assist in managing revenues received and dispersed including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, audit, General Ledger reporting.
- Assist with analyzing financial statements on a monthly basis and report any variances to the concerned department heads.
- Cash handling functions for the hotel and reconcile all cash dropped at the front desk.
- Review and approve all reconciliation and audit work papers.
- Post city ledger payments in property management system, reconcile and bill all city ledger accounts.
- Perform follow-up billing and credit collection documentation and inform GM of any potential uncollected accounts.
- Reconcile credit card back-up to General Cashier Summary and inform Controller of any discrepancies.
- Review all ledger details - guest ledger, city ledger and deposit ledgers to validate proper payment and revenue posting.
- Co-ordinate with the PMS team to resolving any imbalances or differences on the ledger.
- Review the postings, payments, revenue and guest balance reports on a daily basis.
- Maintain office supplies and order as needed.
- Process authorized purchase requests as needed.
- Rotate monthly audits of inventories; enter final inventory totals into spreadsheet.
- Analyze revenues, commissions and expenses to ensure they are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- One (1) year of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in clerical work or any equivalent combination of the required experience and the following substitutions:
- Graduation from the commercial or business course of a recognized high school or vocational/technical high school may be substituted for the required experience.
- Graduation from high school or vocational/technical high school in a course other than commercial or business may be substituted for a maximum of eight (8_ months of the required experience.
- An Associate’s or higher degree may be substituted for the required experience.
- Working knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Ability to make arithmetic computations accurately and with reasonable speed.
- Working knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Skill in bookkeeping.
- Ability to maintain departmental clerical records and to prepare reports from such records.
- Ability to understand and carry out moderately complex oral and written instructions.
- Working knowledge of the operation and application of various office machines; may require ability to type and to operate proficiently a personal computer, telephone switchboard or computerized room inventory system.
- Some experience in performance of general clerical duties.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (list knowledge’s, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures for guest room reservation and registration.
- Knowledge of department forms and their usage.
- Knowledge of department computerized guest room reservation system.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- This position is designated as essential personnel.
- Varies depending on dept. needs; may include weekends and holidays.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit resume and provide contact information for three (3) professional references to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.