About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
As a member of the athletics department’s management team, the Associate Director of Athletics for Finance and Business Services will assist the Director of Athletics with the overall development and implementation of the department’s operating budget and long-range capital and operations strategic planning. The Associate Director manages the athletic department’s central business administrative functions.
- Serve on department leadership cabinet; provide strategic direction, decision-making and formulate policy while maintaining confidentiality on specific department matters.
- Responsible for the leadership and oversight of the athletics department financial units and business service functions.
- Plan, develop, administer, and evaluate areas of responsibility.
- Conduct periodic and timely evaluations of personnel.
- Oversee the procurement, management, and maintenance of major purchases and related inventory for the department.
- Oversee financial reconciliation of team support services including team and coach recruiting travel, recess support, auxiliary services, sport camps and equipment.
- Partner with athletics compliance unit in monitoring student-athlete financial aid and program scholarship budgets.
- Support compliance unit regarding NCAA and league rules education and adherence to internal and external policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with external business partners including university leadership and campus departments, sponsors and other key external constituents.
- Functional supervision of two (2) staff members.
In addition, duties specific to the Associate Director of Athletics for Finance and Business Services shall include the following:
- Department budgeting process
- Accounting services
- Annual financial audit
- Staff expenditure policies, forms and manual updates
- Banking relationships
- Monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Long-term financial forecasting
- Analysis of revenues & expenditures
- Liaison to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration & Finance
- Insurance policies & claims
- Contract negotiation
Team Support Services/Auxiliary Operations:
- Team travel
- Recess support – organize & support financial aspects of pre-season, winter, and spring breaks for athletic teams.
- Campus dining, housing and parking services
- Sport camps
External Report Production:
- EADA reporting
- Division I – salaries
- NCAA membership financial data
- NCAA distributions and championship settlements
- Department annual report
- Faculty senate and athletics council annual financial report
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Sport Management or relevant field.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in business/finance or relevant field.
- Working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations governing intercollegiate athletics.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
- Perform accurate, detail oriented work and manage multiple tasks.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Sport Management or relevant field.
- 3-5 years of experience in NCAA Division I.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment Activity
The position is typically for three years, with the possibility of reappointment.
Monday- Friday, 40 hours per week. Evenings, weekends and holidays may be required depending on the demands of the position.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply online and submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.