About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute (UMDI) MassHire Greater Brockton Career Center (MHGBCC) Career Specialist provides direct services to qualified job seekers through job counseling, workshop instruction, networking, and coordination of outside services. Career Specialists ensure that job seekers have information, training, and skills required to meet the demands of area businesses and to facilitate job-seeker access to local employment opportunities.
This position must fulfill robust data entry and reporting requirements on program activities, meeting the standards of U.S. Department of Labor validation review.
- Perform tasks and interventions, and provide advice to customers in line with MassHire overall mission objectives.
- Provide services to customers to allow them to successfully participate in the Federal Title 1 Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and the Commonwealth’s Re-Employment Eligibility Assessment (RESEA) program.
- Facilitate comprehensive re-employment services to job seekers through assessments, individual counseling, trainings, workshops, job placement, and follow-up.
- Coordinate with the MHGBCC Business Services unit in order to make appropriate employment referrals by developing a pool of qualified job seekers and matching them to opportunities.
- Remain current and knowledgeable on performance benchmarks and metrics in order to integrate these measures into daily operations.
- Monitor program-specific performance benchmarks and assess and adjust own performance against those measures.
- Document all services in Massachusetts One Stop Employment System (MOSES) and other systems required for program compliance.
- Perform all assignments in a timely and accurate manner and in accordance with the program requirements issued by local, state, and federal agencies.
- Cross-train and provide coverage for other MassHire team members when needed.
- Participate in all MassHire and UMDI initiatives as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelors’ degree; degree requirement may be waived in lieu of three (3) years of demonstrated, proven ability and experience in Workforce Development, Human Resources, or Counseling.
- Demonstrated ability in the following areas:
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of workforce development and employment counseling techniques.
- Desire to serve the needs of diverse populations with acceptance to include such demographic factors as age, ethnicity, gender, socio-economic status, or disability.
- Excellent verbal and written English language communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Solid computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Ability to transport supplies up to 20 pounds.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ability to speak, read and write in other additional languages preferred. Languages preferred include but are not limited to: Spanish, Cape Verdean, Haitian/Creole, and Portuguese.
- Knowledge of the program requirements of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act and other Federal and State programs.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Multiple hours in a stationary position while using office equipment and computers.
- Environment and work demands are fast-paced and dynamic, including multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This is a full-time, benefited position.
- All Career Specialists will be required to complete training in Massachusetts One Stop Employment System (MOSES) and gain facility with its use.
- This position is funded by grants and/or contracts and is contingent upon funding.
- This position is located in Brockton, MA.
- Applicant must be work authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis.
- Any job offer is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
- Click here to find out more about the MassHire Greater Brockton Career Center.
- Standard full-time work schedule consisting of five, eight-hour days and 40 hours each week.
- Work performed in addition to regular hours may be necessary, as may be a change in availability at specific times, to accommodate for variations in work demands.
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.