About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Human Resources (HR) Community Training Specialist, a member of the Workplace Learning & Development team, designs and facilitates in-person and virtual training and development programs centered on campus HR policies, procedures, processes, and systems. Working closely with subject matter experts, the position will play a primary role in the elevation of core competencies amongst HR practitioners in a highly decentralized HR environment. The position will lead multi-modal efforts to translate complicated HR systems, such as Page Up, PeopleSoft, and the campus’s Salesforce-based HR case management system, into training units for practitioners at all experience levels. The position assesses learning needs, develops learning in a variety of formats, evaluates training effectiveness, and explores new and engaging ways to meet the dynamic needs of a modern workforce at a world-class public research university.
- Designs and delivers training programs, including developing user procedures, guidelines and documentation.
- Trains clients on new processes/functionality using a variety of instructional technologies and techniques; trains new system users.
- Evaluates training and learning effectiveness. Gathers and interprets data, creates and implements surveys, works with focus groups.
- Authors and organizes training systems, procedural manuals, and supporting documentation for training programs and systems in accordance with organizational/departmental requirements.
- Provides processes consultation and customized training to a broad range of departments, teams, workgroups and managers regarding HR processes and procedures.
- Works closely with subject matter experts and stakeholders within Human Resources and across the University to deliver high quality, meaningful learning that meets organizational needs, champions HR best practices and process improvement efforts.
- Researches and utilizes learning technologies and methods to meet the needs of all employees who work onsite, remotely, and in hybrid format.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree and three (3) years’ progressively responsible experience designing, facilitating, and evaluating training programs. Experience in assessing, designing, delivering, and evaluating technical training programs.
- Experience using eLearning and design technologies (e.g., Moodle, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Camtasia) to develop online courses and learning content OR demonstrated ability to learn and adopt new technology quickly.
- Experience designing and facilitating training in any of the following areas: human resources systems, employee professional development, and working in a flex work environment (in-person, remote, hybrid workplaces).
- Familiarity with technical systems used for human resources administration.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively for client and organization centered results.
- Knowledgeable of current trends in employee professional development.
- Success working independently and as part of a team.
- Skilled in collaborating with subject matter experts, stakeholders, and colleagues.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master's Degree in a related field.
- Certification in Human Resources related fields, such as HR systems, personality/leadership style, strengths, training or organizational development.
- Professional experience and expertise designing, delivering, evaluating and assessing learner-centered, results based training for a wide range of employee development areas.
- Familiarity with the organizational dynamics, needs and practices of higher education institutions preferred.
- Prior work experience in higher education and/or unionized environment.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- May involve bending, moving, lifting, and carrying training materials that weigh up to 15 pounds.
- May involve travel within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts 3-12 times a year.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position is non-unit, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees Non-Unit (Professional/or Classified) Employee Personnel Policy.
Exempt Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.