Library Assistant III (Learning Commons Desk Supervisor)
Job no: 519112
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Lib - Collection Services
Categories: Library, Administrative & Office Support
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Learning Commons Desk Supervisor provides information service and oversight of student staff in an integrated public services environment which includes serving multiple information service points in the Libraries. This position supplies library information, material lending/borrowing and technical and tiered reference support to patrons in person, on the phone, and electronically. Circulates materials and maintains records in the library system, interprets records in discovery systems and creates and updates patron user accounts, including community user accounts.
- Provides patron assistance and oversight of student staff in the WEB DuBois Library integrated public services environment, providing library service, informational, and technical assistance to patrons.
- Circulates materials and maintains records in the library system, interprets records in discovery systems and creates and updates patron user accounts including community user accounts.
- Trains, supervises and evaluates students engaged in providing customer service in the integrated public services desks as needed. Monitors student timekeeping system on a regular basis to make sure that student time is complete and accurate, so that student assistants will be paid for time worked.
- Performs Research Carrel annual application assignment processing, circulation of keys and encoding of UMass UCards for offline lock access. Oversees carrel patron communications for assignable Research carrels in the Du Bois tower.
- Performs processing of state, alumni and proxy borrower card online applications and creates or updates patron records in library systems.
- Provides patron support for use of microforms viewing and scanning machines.
- Acts as backup for other service desks as needed, including opening and closing the Library as needed.
- Exercises considerable independent judgment in maintaining security and monitoring library users to reduce theft, vandalism, and infractions of library rules in the W. E. B. Du Bois Library.
- Actively follows information shared through various library and University communication channels. Contributes to unit, department, and library-wide information sharing as appropriate.
- Participates in the Libraries’ assessment program by collecting, maintaining, and recording usage statistics for monthly reports as needed.
- Demonstrates, fosters and cultivates a positive, proactive internal and external customer service culture. Works collaboratively and effectively in support of the Libraries’ values to promote teamwork, diversity, equality, and inclusiveness within the Libraries and the campus.
- Serves on internal and external committees and attends professional development activities and training as assigned or required to support departmental goals and to maintain proficiency in current library theory and practice.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and in support of the mission and goals of the Libraries.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma and two (2) years’ work experience related to the duties of this position, or Associates Degree and one (1) year of work experience related to the duties of this position.
- One (1) year experience supervising, students, interns, or permanent staff involving training, oversight, organization and assignment of work.
- Successful prior experience in a position requiring excellent interpersonal, customer service skills, tactfulness, and the ability to overcome obstacles and provide creative solutions.
- Experience using word processing, spreadsheet, email, chat and web-based software applications.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Work a schedule during the academic year of Tuesday–Friday, 7:30am - 3:30pm, and Saturday 9:30am – 5:30pm; during winter intersession and summer, work a schedule Monday – Friday, 7:30am - 3:30pm; and work some evening, weekend and holiday hours as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit a resume, cover letter and provide contact information for three (3) professional references to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend