About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Serve as Grants and Contracts Coordinator for the Department of Biology. Process and report departmental financial transactions and temporarily supervise main office operations in the absence of the Director of Administration and Finance.
Manage Budgets and Financial Transactions for the Department of Biology, including post-award management of sponsored Grants and Contracts.
- Oversee budgets of Biology departmental and sponsored funds in collaboration with the Director of Administration and Finance.
- Project expenditures on funds and work with faculty and staff to resolve any potential funding problems, including gaps between sponsored funding, re-budgeting requirements, changes in indirect cost requirements, and appropriate management of expiring grants. Coordinate with the Department’s HR office on personnel funding.
- Analyze fund budgetary categories, and work with faculty to prepare re-budgeting requests for their sponsored funds. Communicate with University departments regarding re-budgeting requests of sponsored funds, and submit completed re-budgeting requests to them.
- Responsible for complex purchases (including such items as sole source and contracts for service) within departmental, University, and sponsor policies and procedures, and work with the Procurement Department on purchases that must go out to public bid. Inform faculty and staff on issues of compliance, procedure, and policy regarding procurement. Communicate with vendors to facilitate the procurement process, including obtaining quotes, contracts, invoices, and supporting documents as needed. Delegate tasks as needed and appropriate.
- Make journal entries to transfer expenses or allotments between funds overseen by the Biology Department, and communicate with other departments regarding journal entries that involve funds outside the Department.
- Supervise the main office in the absence of the Director of Administration and Finance.
- Design and enhance standard and ad hoc financial and budget reports as needed by faculty and staff.
- Provide training for new faculty and staff on relevant policies and procedures.
- Evaluate and modify financial office procedures on an on-going basis. Communicate information to the Biology Department of changes and future trends.
- Represent the Biology Department in meetings and workshops on financial issues.
- Ensure funds with University records are reconciled on a monthly basis and resolve errors. Ensure departmental records are archived properly.
- Interact with Biology, College, and University Faculty and Staff as well as non-departmental personnel (Contractors, vendors, staff from other Universities etc.) to ensure efficient and compliant purchasing, accounting, and finance administration.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness. In the performance of work, takes initiative and operates with self-direction.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the Biology Department and College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certification, Licensure)
- Associate's Degree plus one (1) year of relevant experience or High School diploma plus three (3) year's relevant experience.
- Budgeting and accounting experience. Ability to analyze data, read and interpret financial reports, and to understand and explain policies, procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Experience with databases and spreadsheets. Ability to manipulate data tables, create reports, and modify spreadsheets.
- Excellent written communication and word processing skills, including the ability to write clear instructions and document procedures.
- Ability to work independently to organize multiple tasks and set priorities for action, take initiative, be creative, and operate with self-direction in a fast-paced office environment.
- Excellent oral communication and customer service skills.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associate’s Degree in Business Administration, Business Management, Accounting or related field.
- Knowledge of Finance, HR and other systems used by the University.
- Supervisory experience.
- Supervise a Clerk position.
- Monday – Friday.
- 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit resume and provide contact information for three (3) professional references. Position may remain open until filled.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.