About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assists in the preparation of simple hot and cold foods using food service equipment and standard recipes; serves food to diners; cleans equipment, production areas, serving and dining areas in a food service operation; washes dishes, pots and pans; operates a cash register to make cash sales transactions.
- Moves food from storage place, makes coffee; loads food carts; transports food to serving areas.
- Serves food to diners.
- Assists in preparation of simple hot and cold foods and beverages using standard recipes and established procedures.
- Assists cooks and other full time staff by using manual or mechanical food service equipment in accordance with department procedures and using all available safety equipment.
- Cleans food preparation areas, serving areas and dining areas using standard methods to maintain department cleanliness and sanitation standards.
- Operates a cash register in accordance with department policies and procedures to make cash sale transactions.
- Washes dishes, trays, utensils, and pots and pans, using available equipment and established methods to maintain department cleanliness and sanitation standards.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Working knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment normally used in a food service operation.
- Working knowledge of food service sanitation procedures.
- Ability to perform physical tasks normal to food service operation.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Must be able to balance, carry, pull, push, stand, bend, reach, twist, lift, and perform repetitive movements.
- This position will be within any of the Auxiliary Enterprises locations such as Berkshire Dining Hall, Hampshire Dining Hall, Franklin Dining Hall, Worcester Dining Hall, Blue Wall Café, and other Auxiliary Enterprises Cafés.
- Shift will vary based on location and department needs; may include weekends and holidays.
- This is a temporary, non-benefited position.
$15.00 - $19.00 per hour.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to completing the application, applicants should provide three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.