About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Assistant to the Head of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics provides a range of administrative and operational support for the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, including Faculty Search and Personnel Committees.
Examples of duties:
- Coordinates and supports personnel searches in accordance with Federal, State, and campus guidelines. Including managing posting of external advertisements in the appropriate professional journals and websites.
- Coordinates job candidate visits, including but not limited to, travel, hotel reservations, and interview scheduling.
- Administers faculty actions including (but not limited to): pre-tenure reviews, tenure, promotion, annual faculty reviews, and sabbatical requests. Ensure adherence to review procedures and protocols while assisting with compiling faculty case information and maintaining personnel files. Notify faculty of submission deadlines.
- Consults with Dean’s office Human Resources staff to provide department faculty and staff current and updated information on personnel policies and procedures and eligibility for personnel actions.
- Processes and tracks the status of visa applications.
- Oversee personnel actions; including but not limited to appointments, reappointments, salary adjustments, and leaves for faculty, staff, graduate student research assistants, postdoctoral, and research fellows.
- Provide administrative support as needed. Record the minutes of meetings. Responsible for archival of records. Manages department directories and calendars.
- Assist with planning, publicizing, implementing, and attending department events.
- Manages inventory of departmental space, including office assignments and room assignments for seminars, visitors, and conferences.
- Serves as primary Time and Labor coordinator for the department. Compiles and reports Time and Labor information in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associate Degree plus one (1) year of relevant experience or high school diploma plus three (3) year's relevant experience.
- Ability to effectively use word processing, text editing, spreadsheet and database programs, e-mail, and internet browsers.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions; ability to assemble items of information in accordance with established procedures.
- Ability to write, coordinate and compile reports, correspondence, etc., using correct policies and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively in oral expression, and to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, and to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and take initiative in carrying out projects, reports, correspondence, etc.
- Ability to prioritize workload effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to work effectively with on-campus organizations and external stakeholders.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Experience with University personnel systems.
- Ability to use a variety of computer platforms and software, including GNU/Linux and applications thereon.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit resume and provide contact information for three (3) professional references. Position will remain open until filled.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations.(https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.