About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assist in preparation and serving of food and beverage; supervision of personnel assigned to the unit; assist with creating and maintaining records; performs cash handling duties and deposit of daily receipts for the assigned unit; maintains cleanliness and sanitation standards for food service establishment.
- Prepares foods and beverages using standard recipes for the purpose of customer consumption.
- Uses manual and mechanical food service equipment to supply product for the consumption of customers.
- Uses standard forms and procedures to request supplies and equipment needed in the operation of the assigned area. May requisition food using standard forms and established procedures.
- Provides customer service by displaying and explaining product, making sales transactions using a POS system, and providing general café information.
- Supervises and assists in the cleaning and maintaining of equipment and work areas to maintain sanitation standards.
- Supervises student employees in the assigned work area and trains new employees according to departmental procedures. May assist in the evaluation and scheduling of employees.
- Sets operation up for daily business, may secure the assigned area(s) at the close of operations.
- Assists with inventorying of product and food storage using standard forms and procedures to account for all stock and the proper storage of products, ensures proper rotation of inventory.
- Stores foods in sanitary storage areas and at proper temperature to prevent spoilage, keeps logs relevant to the cleaning, storage, and waste.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- At least one (1) year of food service experience in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria or catering operation.
- A diploma or certificate from a trade, technical or vocational school with a major in culinary arts or food services may be substituted for the required experience.
- Working knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment normally used in food handling and storage.
- Working knowledge of food service sanitation procedures.
- Working knowledge of cash handling and related equipment used in cash handling including cash registers and calculators.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to supervise employees giving oral and written instructions in a precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and make reports.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays, and nights.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Requires the ability to balance, carry, push, pull, stand, bend, reach, twist, lift and perform repetitive movements.
Certification as a food handler (or the ability to obtain certification within three (3)months) through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts, i.e., ServSafe.
- Varies depending on department needs, may require weekends and holidays.
- 35 hours per week.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application and provide contact information for (3) three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.