About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Supervises and participates in the operation of a retail area, including ordering, receiving, pricing, stocking of and selling merchandise; uses a cash register; supervises subordinate employees in the retail area using operational schedules and guidelines.
- Confirms operating fund balance daily. Makes daily cash report and deposit using established forms and procedures to ensure accurate records and security of monies.
- Determines inventory and pricing for the food cost control and orders it from the Warehouse, directly from vendors or via Food Pro.
- Routinely inventories stock each month.
- Plans and serves at special events.
- Performs staffing, training and evaluation of classified personnel; also schedules, hires, trains and evaluates student employees and departmental assistants.
- Ensures the overall cleanliness of retail area for a pleasant customer atmosphere and for sanitation requirements. Ensures all refrigeration and freezer temperatures are maintained.
- Maintains security awareness to prevent pilferage, reporting problems or suspicions to unit manager.
- Develops marketing plans and implements promotions for retail location.
- Prepares and cooks food items in small or large quantities according to standard operating procedure to fill customer orders in a timely fashion.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- At least 2 years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience in food service work in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria or catering firm or a diploma or certificate from a recognized trade, technical or vocational school at a high school level or higher with a major in home economics, culinary arts, food service or food trades.
- Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within six months of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts (i.e. ServSafe).
- Ability to understand and apply the laws rules policies and procedures governing the food service department.
- Ability to judge the proper quality, appearance and condition of foods by sensory observation.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to give oral and written instructions in a precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to supervise, including assigning work, providing training and disciplining employees.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in food handling and storage.
- Knowledge of the effects of time, temperature and weather conditions on food.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population.
- Ability to make mathematical and monetary computations accurately and with reasonable speed.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical Office Environment.
- Requires the ability to balance, carry, push, pull, stand, bend, reach, twist, lift and perform repetitive movements.
This position is designated as essential personnel.
- 40 hours per week; varies based on department needs; may include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- 35 week minimum.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application and provide contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.