About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Hotel Front Desk Clerk assists in the registration of hotel guests, assigns accommodations, and maintains guest room inventory. This is a temporary, unbenefited position.
- Following department policy and procedure, registers guests and assigns rooms; issues keys, mail and messages to guests; enters transactions onto guest accounts.
- Posts and records charges, reconciles balances and prepares reports in standard format for use by the Hotel Manager and other staff.
- Maintains daily guest room inventory using standard department procedures.
- Maintains records by manual or mechanical methods; prepares required forms and reports following department policies and procedures.
- Operates the telephone switchboard and performs miscellaneous clerical duties such as the receipt and disbursement of mail, the operation of various office machines.
- Provides information to the public by telephone or in person responsibly answering questions concerning such matters as services, rooms, and special functions and referring inquiries to the appropriate department of services when necessary.
- Performs administrative tasks as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Working knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic; ability to make arithmetic computations accurately and with reasonable speed.
- Ability to maintain departmental records and to prepare reports from such records.
- Ability to understand and carry out moderately complex oral and written instructions.
- Working knowledge of the operation and application of various office machines; may require the ability to operate proficiently a front office cash register, telephone switchboard or computerized system.
- Understanding of general hotel operations and procedures.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Repetitive movement, standing, sitting, typical office environment activity.
- Varies based on dept. needs; may include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- This is a temporary, unbenefited position.
$16-$20 per hour.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete online application and submit a resume to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.