About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Director of SEL Facilities & Media, the Student Engagement & Leadership (SEL) Building Operations/Facilities Manager is responsible for coordinating the SEL Student Union and Worcester Commons spaces, including scheduling of the facilities, adherence to applicable policies and guidelines, and participation in the overall safety/security of the facilities.
- Manages building schedules, space reservations, event planning, and related functions. Ensures adherence to applicable facility use guidelines, policies and procedures. Monitors room set-up and take-down efforts to ensure space is prepared properly and in a timely way for scheduled uses. Ensures availability and support for technology and related equipment required by building users. Coordinates system/connectivity needs with UMass Information Technology (UMIT), Student Affairs Technology Services (SATS), and other service providers, as needed. In partnership with UMPD, ensures building access system and security cameras operate correctly.
- Implements appropriate furniture and equipment inventory tracking system and routinely audits all related supplies and equipment. Maintains and monitors warranties for all related equipment.
- Periodically reviews facility use guidelines, policies and procedures with department leadership to ensure consistency with prevailing campus policies and priorities.
- Works collaboratively with Campus Planning to assure building floor plans and space use designations are up-to-date. Oversees SEL mail services.
- Oversees and coordinates security operations for the Student Union and Worcester Commons SEL spaces.
- Maintains an effective working relationship with Campus departments (Including but not limited to Campus Center Hotel, UMPD, and Physical Plant), to annually review policies and procedures.
- Works cooperatively with Physical Plant personnel to establish a maintenance and repair program for HVAC systems, security doors, and elevators.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of assessment and evaluation mechanisms, providing data and reports to SEL Leadership on a regular basis.
- Collaborates with SEL colleagues in the hiring, training, scheduling, and supervision of the student staff.
- Provides input to the development of strategies to deal with inappropriate conduct in the Student Union and WC SEL spaces and provide for patron feedback on all aspects of the Student Union and WC SEL spaces.
- Represents the department at regional and national conferences; serve on departmental committees.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required. Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill, and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace. Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree.
- Three years of experience working in operations, facility management, or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- Demonstrated experience in student supervision and student development.
- Proficient in typical office suite software, such as Microsoft Office applications.
- Working knowledge of safety and risk management protocols.
- Commitment to diversity, social justice, and cultural competence and the ability to work in a multicultural environment and the ability to foster cultural, racial, gender equality on a personnel and programmatic level.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal communication, and organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Experience utilizing scheduling software.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds without restrictions.
- 37.5 hours per week.
- Able to work a varied schedule, including evenings and weekends.
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the completed application, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three (3) professional references. Posting will remain open until position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.