About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
About Research & Engagement
The UMass Amherst community engages more than 30,000 students, 1,400 faculty, and 5,000 staff in 11 schools and colleges with a wide variety of degree programs, research, and public service. More than 800 faculty lead sponsored research projects in many areas from basic to applied are sponsored by federal, state, and private sources with expenditures of more than $200 million in 2021.
The Office of Research Development (ORD) Proposal Development Specialist advises and supports faculty on the design and preparation of large-scale research proposals and budgets, delivers capacity-building workshops, supports inclusive collaborations among faculty, and monitors the funding landscape for opportunities aligned with University strengths.
- Provides comprehensive proposal development services to principal investigators and teams pursuing external research funding. Assists in developing competitive proposals with a focus on providing guidance on complex budget development. Identifies, coordinates and administers agreements for cost-share opportunities, sub-awards, and other obligations that are University specific.
- Facilitates collaboration among stakeholders to share ideas, discuss objects and find resolution to challenges.
- Promotes collaborations and inclusive teaming, advising investigators on developing the diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) elements of proposals. Participates in University working groups and provides proposal development support for diversity programs.
- Delivers workshops and programs to provide information about best practices for research development. Develops toolkits, including sample language and guidance documents, to aid and expedite proposal development.
- Builds knowledge of campus research strengths through developing working relationships with staff and faculty.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree and one (1) year of related experience. Advanced degree (Master's or Doctoral) may be substituted for experience.
- Ability to write clear, engaging, persuasive text combined with strong editing skills.
- Possesses strong attention to detail, timeliness in meeting firm deadlines and other organizational skills.
- Experience in budget development.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Advanced Degree.
- Experience that reflects successful proposal writing in academia or industry.
- Experience with collaborative teamwork.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Experience in higher education and sponsored programs.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- May be required to work some nights/weekends.
- Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
- This position has the opportunity for a remote work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where the employee’s work location is to work from a site other than the UMass Amherst campus. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Salary Level 26
Exempt Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.