About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the direction of the Project Executive this position is responsible for project management, design, and preparation of drawings and specifications for a variety of mechanical educational building projects and for direct or indirect supervision of team members associated with assigned Mechanical Engineering projects.
- Responsible for the overall performance and outcome of Mechanical Engineering Projects. Provide supervision to the mechanical design team regarding division policies, procedures and project coordination as it relates to the project designs.
- Review, approve, and stamp plans and specifications of in-house work completed by non-licensed mechanical engineering professionals as applicable.
- Aid in the development of mechanical design standards to ensure efficient and high quality plumbing, HVAC and other Mechanical system installations and operation.
- Prepare and stamp contract documents including working drawings and specifications for new mechanical systems and alterations and repairs to existing systems.
- Coordinate mechanical designs as a team member with other designers on multi-discipline projects and serve as a project leader/coordinator on assigned projects.
- Manage and/or conduct feasibility studies for design projects. Prepare preliminary total project cost estimates and financial analysis for project planning and budget development as well as detailed cost estimates. Work with staff engineers, architects, planners, landscape architects, faculty, staff and students to determine existing conditions and establish project requirements for developing scopes of work for projects.
- Manage, design and perform contract administration of multiple projects including technically complex building systems.
- Coordinate and manage capital project activities for the University with both in-house and outside consultants including preparation and administration of consultant’s contracts. Review plans and contract documents prepared by outside consultants to ensure compatibility to University standards and requirements.
- Serve as the University's representative to the State Division of Capital Asset Management and Maintenance and other state, federal and local agencies on assigned projects.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technical developments and new approaches in mechanical engineering.
- Allocate resources consistent with Division goals.
- Access all portions of construction and facility sites.
- Develop design solutions requiring complex analysis and decision-making involving life safety and building code compliance.
- Prepare written, oral and graphic presentations
- Maintain proficiency in computer assisted design software applications and the various other computer applications used by professional mechanical in the industry.
- Promote and assure continuous improvement, establish and maintain productive relationships with a full range of personnel that reflects a strong commitment to customer service and respect for a diverse campus community.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor degree in mechanical engineering.
- Current Registration as a professional engineer (mechanical) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Five to seven (5 to 7) years’ experience in mechanical design and consultation.
- Working knowledge of engineering design principles, building systems, laboratories, code regulations and construction practices.
- Ability to effectively manage and coordinate the work of engineers and other designers in the mechanical engineering discipline.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Preference given to an individual with Revit and AutoCAD experience.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Ability to access any portion of a construction/facility site.
Typical Office Environment Activity
Monday through Friday, first shift
PSU Salary Level 31
PSU Salary Chart
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.