About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Works as part of a team to administer UMass Amherst’s compensation programs related to, but not limited to, job design, job classification, market pricing, pay studies, policy, Wage & Hour Laws interpretations, bargaining unit contract interpretation, and compensation education and training. Consults with campus partners regarding compensation matters. Assists with, or takes lead on, compensation projects and initiatives.
- Performs job analysis and classification for a wide variety of jobs across job families and bargaining units, utilizing internal and external equity factors.
- Takes a proactive approach to providing advice and guidance to campus partners on compensation policies and practices, with a focus on promoting sound compensation principles, and the understanding of the University’s classification systems and federal and state compliance. Collaborates with HR Business Partners to deliver solutions on situation-specific compensation matters for their respective client groups.
- Analyzes requests for departmental equity reviews, pay changes, and salary offers, including research and preparation of appropriate internal and external salary data, demonstrating awareness of potential impact of compensation decisions.
- Seeks ways to improve the design and administration of pay programs and identifies enhancements, with a focus on implementing efficiencies and talent management system improvements; works with UMass IT staff and talent management software vendor to ensure systems meet requirements; tests and maintains talent management system enhancements.
- Supports data integrity by maintaining and auditing position and job related information in HR systems.
- Assists with, or leads, compensation projects. Participates in projects from conceptualization to implementation.
- Designs and provides compensation training to campus partners; communicates regulatory updates.
- Supports and may assist in coordinating the performance evaluation and annual increase processes.
- Prepares regular and ad hoc compensation reports as needed or requested.
- Conducts and participates in annual salary surveys and ensures appropriate matches.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Human Resources, Business Administration, or other related field.
- At least one (1) year of experience in human resources.
- Knowledge of principles, theories and concepts for administering compensation programs, including working knowledge of compensation procedures, best practices, applicable laws and regulations, e.g., Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Highly analytical with the ability to conduct job audits, perform detailed analyses of qualitative and quantitative data, including skill in creating complex spreadsheets which require the use of intermediate to advanced skills in Excel, including knowledge of formulas.
- Diplomacy, strong communication, and interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with others and interact with various levels of employees in a highly decentralized, complex and large organization.
- Customer service focus, with the ability to consistently follow through and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook; strong technical aptitude.
- Detailed oriented with the ability to think creatively, objectively, and see the big picture.
- Strong work ethic with the ability to work independently under minimal supervision.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to navigate difficult conversations effectively.
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of federal, state, and local compensation laws and regulations in order to ensure compliance.
- High level of discretion, tact, and professionalism; capable of maintaining confidentiality.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Professional certification achieved or in progress (CCP, PHR/SPHR).
- Experience with PeopleSoft.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week.
Exempt Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Search may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.