About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assist in preparation, and serving of food and beverage; supervision of personnel assigned to the unit; assist with maintaining records; hires, trains and supervises student employees; perform cash handling and deposit of daily receipts for the assigned unit.
- Prepares foods and beverages using standard recipes for the purpose of cash customer consumption. May requisition food using standard forms and established procedures.
- Uses manual and mechanical food service equipment to supply product for the consumption of customers.
- Uses standard forms and procedures to order supplies and equipment needed in the operation of the assigned area.
- Makes daily deposits of sales receipts using standard forms and procedures; makes sales reports on standard forms.
- Supervises and assists in the cleaning and maintaining of equipment and work areas to maintain sanitation standards.
- Hires, trains and supervises student employees in the assigned work area. May assist in the evaluation and scheduling of employees.
- Secures the assigned area(s) at the close of operations.
- Maintains records of cash and sales figures and other records pertaining to the operation of the assigned unit(s).
- Assists with inventory and food storage using standard forms and procedures to account for all stock and the proper storage of products.
- Performs related work as required
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- At least one year of food service experience in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria or catering operation. A diploma or certificate from a trade, technical or vocational school with a major in culinary arts or food services may be substituted for the required experience.
- Working knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment normally used in a food handling and storage.
- Working knowledge of food service sanitation procedures.
- Working knowledge of cash handling and related equipment used in cash handling including; cash registers and calculators.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to supervise employees giving oral and written instructions in a precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and make reports.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays, and nights.
- Ability to establish rapport, maintain harmonious working relationships and deal effectively with customers and agency personnel from varied ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds.
- Willingness to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors, seasonal high and low temperatures (indoors as well as outdoors) and sharp surfaces.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Knowledge of standards for sanitation and service.
Knowledge of procedures for preparation, service and storage of food and beverage.
Working knowledge of computerized menus and recipes.
Simple computer skills
Certification as food handler through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts – i.e., Serve Safe.
Varies depending on department needs; may include weekends and holidays
Special Instructions to Applicants
Alone with application please submit 3 references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.