Cook I (Worcester DC)
Job no: 514837
Work type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Amherst
Department: Worcester Dining Commons
Pay Grade: 10
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Prepares and cooks simple dishes using a grill, fryolater, oven or other related food service equipment. Performs a variety of tasks in the preparation and serving of food to order. May also be required to prepare more complex dishes. Sets production and pulls orders.
- Prepares food items according to recipe and standard operating procedure to fill customer orders in a timely fashion.
- Preps sheets and inventory levels, prepares ingredients to par levels, consistently prepares finished product to recipe standards, and performs overall sanitation of a kitchen.
- Assigns staff to positions within the kitchen as necessary for maximum efficiency.
- Cleans food preparation areas using standard procedures to maintain safety and sanitation standards.
- Monitors the quality, quantity and timeliness of food served to maintain quality control and consistency of product served.
- Assists employees of higher grades in preparation of more complex dishes, i.e. soups, sauces, gravies. May be required to prepare dishes that are more complex by using standard recipes and computerized recipes.
- May be required to adjust recipes for simple menu items as needed.
- May be required to substitute type and amount of ingredient to recipe to enhance appearance and quality.
- Evaluates food for quality, quantity, appearance, temperature, and taste by tasting and observing to determine proper freshness, preparation, and portioning.
- Stores foods in sanitary storage areas and at proper temperature to prevent spoilage.
- Communicates with Assistant Snack Bar Manager to report food and menu problems.
- Reads and uses computer generated standard menus and recipes to prepare meals.
- May be assigned to other units within the food service department.
- Uses food pro to pull production requirements and set daily prep sheets.
- Uses excel to compile daily production requirements, inspects for accuracy and communicates anomalies to manager.
- Assigns departmental assistants to production requirements.
- Operates motor vehicle to travel to work sites.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within (6) six months of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University of Massachusetts (i.e. ServSafe).
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prepare and cook simple and complex dishes to order using a grill and other related food service equipment.
- Knowledge of sanitary methods and procedures used in food preparation.
- Knowledge of safety methods and procedures used in the operation of food service equipment.
- Ability to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays and nights.
- Ability to communicate with team members and assign tasks.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of utensils and equipment used in large quantity food preparation and cooking such as ovens, knives, stoves, steamers, fryolators, coffee machines, etc.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished.
- Ability to provide training, work assignments, and supervision to departmental assistants and student employees.
- Ability to read and understand recipes.
- Willingness to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors, seasonal high and low temperatures (indoors as well as outdoors) and sharp surfaces.
- Ability to establish rapport, maintain harmonious working relationships and deal effectively with customers and agency personnel from varied backgrounds.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Repetitive Movement
- This position is designated as essential personnel.
- Varies based on dept. needs; may include weekends and holidays.
- 35 week minimum.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application and submit a resume and contact information for (3) three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend