Departmental Assistant- Line Server (Spring '20 Retail Locations)
Job no: 501739
Work type: Hourly
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Auxiliary Services
Union: AFSCME Unit B
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality, Temporary Non-Benefited
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assists in the preparation of simple hot and cold foods using food service equipment and standard recipes; serves food to diners; cleans equipment, production areas, serving and dining areas in a food service operation; washes dishes, pots and pans; operates a cash register to make cash sales transactions.
- Moves food from storage place, makes coffee; loads food carts; transports food to serving areas.
- Serves food to diners.
- Assists in preparation of simple hot and cold foods and beverages using standard recipes and established procedures.
- Assists cooks and other full time staff by using manual or mechanical food service equipment in accordance with department procedures and using all available safety equipment.
- Cleans food preparation areas, serving areas and dining areas using standard methods to maintain department cleanliness and sanitation standards.
- Operates a cash register in accordance with department policies and procedures to make cash sale transactions.
- Washes dishes, trays, utensils, and pots and pans, using available equipment and established methods to maintain department cleanliness and sanitation standards.
- Performs related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Working knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment normally used in a food service operation.
- Working knowledge of food service sanitation procedures.
- Ability to perform physical tasks normal to food service operation.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
This position could require working at various locations including all retail locations.
Varies based on work location and department needs (20 or less hours per week)
Grade 1 (Hourly Rate Range is $12.00-$15.00)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend