About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Executive Director of University Health Services (UHS), is responsible for the development, management, planning and implementation of administrative, financial and other operational service areas designated under the scope of UHS, including Finance, Human Resources, Systems, Facilities, Health Records, Referrals and Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP). Also responsible for finance and human resources for Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH) and Center for Health Promotion CHP) that report to the Vice-Chancellor for Student Affairs and Campus Life.
- Directs UHS and CCPH/CHP financial operations including accounting, receivables, budgeting, costing model, purchasing, payroll, accounts payable and cash management, exceeding $24 million in expenses, including $8 million third party revenue.
- Directs the function of UHS and CCPH/CHP Human Resources, assuring timely and accurate paperwork, implementation of performance evaluation and merit process, adherence to policy and procedure and related tasks.
- Directs Student Health Benefit Plan, under the general direction of the Administration & Finance Vice Chancellor, coordinating with Bursar's office, Consolidated Health Plan, New Student Orientation and UMass accounting staff to insure the plan is administered effectively and ethically.
- Directs other UHS service areas including Facilities, Systems, Health Records and Referrals.
- Negotiates and administers UHS and CCPH/CHP service contracts, including but not limited to, various external medical specialist, vendors, and Hampshire College satellite Health Center in conjunction with UHS Executive Director.
- Maintains liaison with University agencies and offices related to budget, accounting, SHBP, audit, procurement, human resources, CERM, EOC and medical malpractice carrier. Ensures compliance with University and State audit requirements. Develops effective working relationships with related agencies external to the University, for the support of business operations.
- Has financial responsibilities for $25M to $100M to include:
- Applies and conforms to internal financial policies to ensure transactions are processed properly (e.g. Tax, HR, Legal, State & Federal);
- Ensures accuracy of recorded data through the use of analytical reports and reconciliations.
- Utilizes financial databases and systems to manipulate and analyze financial data for internal and external reporting and decision making.
- Develops and implements short-term funding options for strategic plans and on-going operations.
- Recommends policy and procedure changes to ensure compliance with all applicable rules and regulations, including internal controls.
- Has budget responsibilities for $5M to $25M to include:
- Develops budget to include forecasting, monitors and reports variances/problems and recommends solutions.
- Has signature authority to implement solutions and release funds. Accepts an institutional responsibility for the University funds assigned.
- Primary responsibility for budget and expenditures and final approval.
- Responsible for revenue operations $5M to $25M; grant management $101,000 - $250,000 and general operating funds $501K to $5M.
- Participates in administrative on-call rotation.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in a related field such as accounting or finance with 5 years of progressively responsible business, budgetary and supervisory experience within health care finance or bachelor's degree in a related field such as accounting or finance with 7 years of progressively responsible business, budgetary and supervisory experience within healthcare finance.
- Experience in the management of a complex organization, responsibility for significant budgets, budget analysis, budget forecasting, making conclusions and appropriate recommendations, and operations management.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends and to participate in administrative on-call rotation.
- Strong supervisory, leadership, team building and coaching skills.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal, including public speaking.
- Ability to communicate on various levels to key constituents across the campus, staff at all levels of the organization, students and their families.
- Excellent financial, budgetary, accounting and computational skills. Ability to negotiate pricing structures and contract agreements with vendors.
- Advanced/proficient computer skills with Microsoft applications including Outlook, Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and other web-based applications. Ability to produce complex documents/reports, perform analysis and utilize databases.
- Knowledge of health care cost accounting.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Full service medical health services clinic and office.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm with administrative on-call rotation, may require some holiday, evening & weekend hours.
Commensurate with skills and experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references by January 24, 2020 to ensure priority consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or product to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.