About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Director of Content Development for Advancement, the Advancement Content Writer creates campus-wide strategic communications content in support of University of Massachusetts Amherst brand strategy, including the forthcoming brand strategy for the University’s most ambitious capital campaign.
The Advancement Content Writer writes original content and edits existing content for advancement channels and, as a member of the content development team, provides some administrative and project support. This position will work with advancement team members and campus partners to strategically communicate to all audiences on internal and external channels. This position develops a deep understanding of the university’s strategic goals and advancement’s messaging strategy and can create content that resonates in alignment with those messages.
- Write strategic content including impact stories, proposals, internal communications, major gift proposals, brochure copy, website updates, newsletters, donor relations and stewardship materials, talking points, press releases, UMass Magazine, and other channels as assigned.
- Create compelling and engaging content for distribution across all university-owned and managed platforms that help the university achieve desired goal of boosting institutional pride and understanding—through increased engagement, advocacy, and philanthropic support for our teaching and research mission among our students, parents, alumni and friends.
- Create original material fitted to the alumni life cycle, written to inspire meaningful engagement with the university.
- Provide project and administrative support for the content development team as assigned.
- Collaborate as a team member with stakeholders of university communications (such as University Relations, Media Relations, Executive Communications, Student Relations, etc.) in the course of creating content across all platforms.
- Closely collaborate with university-wide colleagues to amplify and ensure quality and alignment with university priorities and initiatives.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of three years of writing experience in journalism, communications, marketing, or related field.
- Demonstrated excellent writing and editing skills for both short- and long-lead turnarounds.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with stakeholders and communicate key messages in alignment with overarching communications strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to set and meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality.
- Ability to problem solve and deal diplomatically with challenging issues and situations.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively communicate with diverse constituencies.
- A commitment to strong customer service is essential.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, English, communications, or related field.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
37.5 hours per week
$27.00 per hour
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.