About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs complex clerical duties according to departmental procedures, which requires a moderate degree of decision-making, uses customer service techniques to provide parking information to University employees, students and campus visitors. Trains new students and full-time employees as needed. May be required to serve as back-up for some of the duties of the Hearings Clerk, Clerk IV, Clerk V, and/or Assistant Manager of Administration. Responsible for the efficient distribution of Parking Services information. This is a 1 year term position.
- Primary job responsibility is to help customers determine the best parking option(s) based on customer needs, lot availability and customer eligibility. Provides direction to the University community regarding parking permits, lot assignments, waiting lists, reserved accessible parking, citations, late fees, appeals, re-appeals and other general parking information. This information may be distributed in person, over the phone, through written responses and/or through electronic medium (email, Parking Services website, social media, etc.).
- Provides on the job training to new Parking Services employees. Attends periodic training as determined by departmental needs.
- Provides general office support – Operates a computerized cash register and performs data entry to complete parking permit transactions, citation payments, payroll deduction transactions, refunds, credit card transactions, UCard purchases and citation appeals and re-appeals. Answers the phones, operates office machinery, distributes and processes mail, prepares cash deposits, refund requests, prepares forms as required by Clerk IV and Clerk V, operates radio and communicates with parking enforcement employees in the field, maintains customer files, scans documents and associates the scanned documents to customer digital files.
- Provides coverage and backup in either office location as necessary.
- Opening and closing of office- Opens office: responsible for opening office, unlocking office or building, disarming alarm systems, verifying cash in cash drawers, setting up work stations, starting the computer in work station, etc. Closes office: responsible for logging out of the cash register or drawer, prints end-of-day reports, prints credit card audit tape, confirms that monies received match the printed audit reports, responsible for locking up the office or building at the end of the work day, securing cash in the Parking Services vault or safe, securing permit stock, rolling phones into night mode, activates alarm and secures building or office.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- One-year experience in a diverse customer service environment.
- Ability to supply customer service in a busy stressful environment.
- Ability to input and retrieve information from a large digital database using a networked computer interface.
- Knowledge of basic office computer programs such as MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook.
- Ability to deal effectively with students, faculty, staff and campus visitors in various types of circumstances.
- Ability to follow prescribed routines – ability to follow verbal and written instruction in English.
- Possession of good communication skills including verbal and written.
- Ability to understand and apply forms, regulations, policies and procedures germane to Umass parking Service and parking on the Umass campus.
- Ability to organize and set priorities – Ability to work with little or no supervision and follow through on assignments.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others, to deal tactfully with others and handle sensitive situations and information in a professional and appropriate manner.
- Ability to understand, explain, communicate, and apply UMass Parking Services rules and regulations.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to use common office machines and computer programs (MS Windows).
- Ability to communicate effectively with the general public and co-workers.
- At least one year of customer service experience in a fast-paced environment.
This is a 1 year term position.
Overtime in this position may be assigned.
Monday – Friday, First Shift
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.