About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Center for Intelligent Information Retrieval (CIIR), established in 1992, continues to be one of the leading research groups in the world at the forefront of research in information retrieval (IR, the science behind search engines), applied natural language processing, machine learning for those tasks, and is engaged in groundbreaking industry and government collaborations.
Under the general direction of a senior faculty member, responsible for the design, installation and maintenance of systems software, utilities and enhancements to support the research developments in the Center for Intelligent Information Retrieval (CIIR).
- Design, implement, debug, deploy, monitor, document, and maintain software systems that include information retrieval, machine learning, natural language processing, information extraction, information integration, or parallel-distributed processing.
- Supervise other members of project teams, such as other software engineers, technical writers, research assistants, designers and contractors, including setting goals, delegating tasks, mentoring and training, managing deadlines and workloads, resolving technical, workflow and team collaboration issues.
- Interact directly with industry partners and other customers to gather system requirements, discuss design, collect feedback, promote research and system capabilities, and assist technology transfer.
- Explore business development opportunities for new augmented projects with potential customers, funders, and grant opportunities.
- Carry out research experiments in association with faculty and graduate students. Assist in writing reports and articles.
- Perform related duties as assigned or required to meet department, executive area/division, and university goals and objectives.
- Understand responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behave in ways consistent both with law and with university policy.
- Contribute toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understand and contribute to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Use access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercise care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and at least 4 years of relevant experience.
- Programming skills in Java or substantial experience in other programming languages (preferably honed in a professional environment).
- Ability to program using UNIX, Network and shell scripts.
- Demonstrated experience with building software systems.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and at least 2 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Project management experience.
- Experience in one or more of the following: information retrieval, search engine technology, natural language processing, text and information extraction processing, or database systems.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Monday - Friday, 37.5 hours/week.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Applicants must apply by January 17, 2020 to ensure consideration.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.