About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Housed in the School of Public Policy and Administration, the Media Cloud-International Hate Observatory Project (IHOP) Researcher/Community Manager is responsible for developing a deep understanding of the Media Cloud-IHOP (mediacloud.org) tools and data to communicate with and educate the external Media Cloud user community on research applications of the tools. The Researcher/Community Manager will work with collaborators and partner organizations on specific research projects, and use those experiences to help inform further development of IHOP, and the underlying Media Cloud tools. This is a grant funded 2-year fully remote position with the possibility of re-appointment contingent on funding.
- Use the Media Cloud-IHOP tool suite to explore online extremism and online media coverage of other key issues related to Media Cloud and IHOP.
- Use the Media Cloud tool suite to help collaborators and partner organization, including IHOP partner foundations, their grantees, and members of social change organizations conduct research on digital media ecosystems, extremism and hate speech, and connect to a broader international community of scholars and researchers.
- Closely collaborate with project staff at Northeastern University and Media Ecosystems Analysis Group, and with researchers and developers on the Media Cloud team at Harvard’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society to advance project goals.
- Produce original research into online extremism and other topics using Media Cloud tools and publish the results in cooperation with the Media Cloud team and partner organizations.
- Manage communications between the UMass team and multiple external partner organizations.
- Construct and maintain search queries on various IHOP topics using Media Cloud tools.
- Clearly and concisely communicate research discoveries to partners and partner needs back to the Media Cloud research and development teams.
- Develop and produce reports and multimedia training materials for partners and sponsor organizations.
- Represent the needs of end users, participate in design discussions and help prioritize IHOP related improvements to the Media Cloud tools.
- Report to Media Cloud team on important trends in topic areas (such as online extremist speech) critical to partner organizations.
- Help with Media Cloud-IHOP outreach efforts by running training sessions, workshops and supporting events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree and 1 year of research experience, or Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of research experience.
- Experience and/or interest in social change topics, particularly in the field of online extremism, journalism and news, public health, and/or women’s rights.
- Advance knowledge of web-based research tools and technologies.
- Experience with creative uses of web-based research tools and technologies.
- Ability to quickly gain proficiency in the use of the Media Cloud tool suite.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to consider issues from multiple perspectives and provide creative problem solving.
- Able to work with strong initiative, independence and collaboration as part of a remote team.
- Excellent group facilitation skills.
- Excellent ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment
This is a grant funded 2-year fully remote position with the possibility of re-appointment contingent on funding.
This position provides an opportunity for someone who is interested in online communities to conduct research into media discourse and to help make IHOP and Media Cloud more useful for researchers and non-profits trying to understand online speech and media portrayals. We anticipate scholarly and popular publications will arise from this research.
Hours may vary, as determined by project supervisor.
PSU Level: 26
PSU Salary Chart
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references. In their cover letters, applicants should include a diversity statement—a paragraph or two in length—that discusses the candidate’s commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
Review of applicants will begin on August 6, 2021, and will continue until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences is committed to building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive work environment where cultural diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe diversity benefits and enriches the development of all of the students, staff, and faculty in our college. To learn more, please visit https://www.umass.edu/sbs/diversity-equity-and-inclusion
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.