About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Credentialing Manager and Human Resources Specialist is a member of the Human Resources department and reports directly to the HR Director. The position supports UHS in meeting its operational and strategic objectives, with a high degree of judgement, initiative, and leadership and is responsible for and serves as an advisor and consultant on matters related credentialing, FMLA, practicum student placements and other HR services as required.
- For UHS and CCPH, is responsible for primary source verification process for new hires, and performing on-going tracking and re-verification of renewed licenses, certifications, and training compliance. Facilitates all aspects of health services medical & professional credentialing, including initial appointments, reappointments, expirables process, for medical staff, allied health professionals and other contracted providers.
- Develops, manages, monitors and maintains the credentialing and re-credentialing process for UHS medical providers, allied health professionals and other contracted professionals. Conducts primary source verification of all components of the application file. Obtains and validates all of the physician’s board certifications, academic background, fellowship and other career history, including previous malpractice coverage. Ensures that all necessary licenses and credentials are verified and updated at all times.
- Primary liaison with Cooley Dickinson Hospital Medical Staff Office regarding their credentialing process for UHS medical providers granting hospital privileges.
- Creates/maintains employee personnel records, professional credentialing records, databases, documentation and reports. Provides support to on-going HR activities.
- Ensures credentials are current for billing and audit purposes. Maintains liaison with finance billing department to ensure accurate and timely billing. Oversees Contract Credentialing Coordinator responsible for credentialing providers with various insurances.
- Responds to inquiries from other healthcare organizations, interfaces with internal and external customers on day-to-day credentialing and privileging issues as they arise.
- Identifies compliance issues and determines an appropriate resolution.
- Manages the practicum student placement program for both UHS and CCPH.
- Acts as liaison with sponsoring agencies and preceptors for interns and practicum students who apply for clinical/shadowing placements at UHS to observe or get clinical experience in varying professions, including MD, NP, RN, & Psychiatry residents. Practicum students may come from national & international educational institutions, as well as from UMass and other local colleges & universities.
- Ensures eligibility criteria is met, required documents are collected/completed and credentials are valid. Ensures students are on-boarded and terminated in compliance with university and non-university program placement agreements.
- Manages all functions related to Federal FMLA and State PFML leaves for all UHS, CCPH, and CPH employees. Provides advice and support to employees and managers regarding these issues. Prepares and coordinates such leave ensuring forms are complete and that recording of pay and/or time is accurately processed.
- Performs HR related duties as required.
Performs additional duties, as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor degree preferably in Management, Human Resources, or related field
- 3 years’ experience working in Human Resources or a health care environment
- Ability to work both independently and to be part of an effective team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively, and create and maintain harmonious relationships with a diverse population of staff and students and off-campus programs.
- Independent initiative. Must have the ability to stay on task and work productively with a minimum amount of supervision or guidance.
- Ability to use good judgment in a fast paced environment and make effective administrative/procedural decisions.
- Willingness to take on a variety of tasks related to the successful operation and administration of UHS. Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to write concisely, express thoughts clearly, and develop ideas in a logical sequence.
- General knowledge of medical credentialing and privileging procedures and standards.
- Proficient knowledge & experience with office productivity software applications such as Microsoft Office, Adobe, DocuSign, Outlook and databases such as FileMaker or Microsoft Access. Ability to collect data from multiple sources and create new reports that add value to program goals.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to track expirables and information accurately and efficiently.
- Demonstrated ability handle sensitive and confidential material with thorough understanding of confidentiality.
- Previous experience directly related to medical staff credentialing
Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm
Exempt Grade 26
Non-Unit Exempt Pay Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative talent on our team to meet the needs of our diverse campus community which we serve. Multilingual, multicultural and multiracial applicants encouraged to apply.
Please complete online application, submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. To ensure priority consideration, review of applications will begin on July 23, 2021. This position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.