About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Graphics Designer Associate is an entry level position with growth opportunities. This position will work as a part of our Creative Services Team, under the direction of our Director of Marketing & Digital Strategy, to create exciting and engaging graphics for Massachusetts Athletics. Focus on creating different marketing materials that complement the UMass Athletics’ brand image and help with accomplishing the department’s goals and needs (posters, media guide covers, brochures, direct-mail pieces, etc.).
- Working with the creative team, marketing team and select sport teams in developing design materials for Massachusetts Athletics.
- Create different marketing materials that complement our brand image and help with accomplishing the department’s goals and needs (posters, media guide covers, brochures, direct-mail pieces, etc.)
- Assisting on gameday coverage as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Marketing & Digital Strategy
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Visual Design, Interface Graphics, Web Design, or related field
- Demonstrable knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom)
- Understanding and knowledge of design concept and application
- Ability to provide a portfolio which highlights a variety of projects including identity design, advertising and/or page layout
- Strong organizational skills with ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and manage several projects at one time
- Excellent communication skills, including written and verbal, and have the ability to present ideas clearly and concisely
- Ability to work independently and self-manage project flow
- Team player with the ability to work well in a team setting and across diverse groups, organizations and departments
- Must be detail-oriented, proactive, energetic, curious, creative thinker, trouble shooter and problem solver
- Computer proficient in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- A strong understanding of sports
- Proficiency in photography and/or photo editing
- Knowledge of Motion Graphics
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment Activity
Position is non-benefited. Dates of employment will be 8/2/21-5/28/22.
Monday- Friday, 40 hours per week. Evenings, weekends and holidays may be required depending on the demands of the position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Applicants must apply by the priority deadline of 7/11/2021 in order to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.