About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assists Athletic Injury Care Staff in the areas of prevention, care and rehabilitation of athletic related injuries. Assist with the daily duties in the various athletic injury care facilities on campus. Duties include, but are not restricted to: room coverage, practice and game coverage and assigned team travel. We are hiring for two (2) Departmental Assistants/Assistant Athletic Trainers.
- Assistant Athletic Trainer for teams assigned by the Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer.
- Will utilize standing orders under the supervision of the team physicians in the care of student athletes.
- Splint possible fractures and arrange appropriate transportation for further treatment.
- Taping of extremities as prescribed.
- Head injury: observe, evaluate and determine whether or not student-athlete is to be allowed to continue as a game or practice participant. Follow return to play protocol for concussion.
- Bruises and contusions: treat as appropriate.
- Strains and sprains: treat as appropriate.
- Trauma: treat as appropriate.
- Maintain concise and accurate medical records.
- Operate appropriate modalities in the treatment of injury.
- Supervise the rehabilitation of athletic injuries for student athletes.
- Travel with teams as assigned.
- Advise athletic coach of status on injured members of team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in athletic training, kinesiology, or related field of study.
- Working knowledge of first aid, safety and athletic injury care.
- Ability to work 40 hours per week (depending on game/practice schedules), including Saturdays, Sundays, Holiday and evening sessions on occasions.
- Must be certified by the N.A.T.A. or possess the necessary qualifications to take the certifications examination and qualify for licensure in Massachusetts.
- Must be Professional Rescuer CPR/AED certified.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Meets physical, health and emotional stability standards of the position.
- Extended periods of standing.
- Nights, weekends, holidays required.
- Attendance at all sport assigned practices and games required.
- Flexible and variable hours depending on the demands of the position.
- Carrying, lifting, pulling, pushing, repetitive movements, bending, travel to other campuses.
Position is non-benefited. Dates of employment:
- For the first position 8/2/21-5/14/22
- For the second position 9/1/21-5/31/22
Varied schedule based on the demands of the position. Nights, weekends and holidays are required.
$13.50 per hour
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Applicants must apply by the priority deadline of 7/8/2021 in order to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.