About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Manage and produce web, print, and social media communication leading to the advancement of the strategic goals of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) and the departments and programs within the SBS umbrella. This position will report to the SBS Director of Communications and External Affairs and will work collaboratively with department staff and other MarCom staff across the university.
- Manage content and update pages on college and department websites; track and analyze website traffic and engagement data and seek ways to enhance user experience.
- Develop and write news stories, profiles and features showcasing student and faculty achievements, research spotlights, and organizational announcements. Research and select story concepts and communicate with the parties involved to arrange for interviews. Write, design, edit, produce and distribute electronic newsletters and other informational communication.
- Create, edit, produce and promote photo and video content in a variety of formats.
- Work with the college’s student success team to manage tools for students and communicate with students about their academic, co-curricular, experiential, and professional development.
- Manage the online presence and promote programs in social media outlets, including Facebook and Twitter. Create and maintain public event calendars and promote events to internal and external audiences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in executing marketing and promotions, writing, website management, or related field.
- Knowledge and experience with digital content creation, including photography and videography and editing software.
- Knowledge of and experience in current media technology required. Includes web maintenance, social media, video/photography and a willingness to learn new media technologies as they emerge.
- Excellent writing, editing, verbal and interpersonal skills, including the ability to quickly develop and sustain productive relationships with variety of internal and external constituents.
- Excellent time and task management skills with high-level attention to detail with the ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize while maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality.
- Strong initiative and the ability to organize and manage complex activities.
Preferred qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Understanding of the potential of and best practices in new and existing technologies to advance goals of the position.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, video production and video editing.
- Capability to work successfully as part of a team.
- Experience managing editorial calendars and content creation in a variety of formats.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
- Must be able to walk across campus.
- Must be able to stand for 1 – 2 hours for event video assignments.
- May be required to do occasional day or overnight off campus travel.
- May be required to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Monday - Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
PSU level 25
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references. In their cover letters, applicants should include a diversity statement—a paragraph or two in length—that discusses the candidate’s commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
Please include writing samples, design samples portfolio of creative work if available
Review of applicants will begin on August 6, 2021, and will continue until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences is committed to building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive work environment where cultural diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe diversity benefits and enriches the development of all of the students, staff, and faculty in our college. To learn more, please visit https://www.umass.edu/sbs/diversity-equity-and-inclusion
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.