About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs routine manual and domestic job duties in a food service operation including pot washing, dish washing, and cleaning. Primary duties are to wash pots and pans and to assist with various other cleaning and cooking tasks as needed.
- Washes pots and pans using either manual or mechanical means.
- Cleans utensils and dishes by scraping and hand and machine washing.
- Cleans food service area equipment, counters, floors, food carts, trays and furniture.
- Transports food to and from storage areas, loads food carts and transports food to serving areas.
- Prepares coffee.
- Operates kitchen equipment.
- Separates and removes trash and garbage and places them in designated containers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Basic knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the care and use of kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability and stamina to perform manual tasks including standing for long periods of time, lifting and carrying heavy objects, and working under conditions of seasonal high and low temperatures.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish rapport, maintain harmonious working relationships and deal effectively with customers and agency personnel from varied backgrounds.
- Ability to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays and nights.
- Ability to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors and sharp surfaces.
This position will be within any of the Auxiliary Enterprises locations such as Berkshire Dining Hall, Hampshire Dining Hall, Franklin Dining Hall, Worcester Dining Hall, Bluewall Café, and other Auxiliary Enterprises Cafés.
Schedule will vary based on location and department needs.
Level I ($13.50- $17.50)
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to completing the application, applicants should provide three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.