About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Vice Provost of Enrollment Management (EM), the Director of Communications & Events will have the responsibility for developing and implementing a comprehensive and strategic communication plan for Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid, as well as oversite of Enrollment Management special events and visitor experience, such as tours, information sessions, and open houses. The Director will work collaboratively with Enrollment Management senior leadership and UMass Amherst schools and colleges to effectively plan and deliver integrated inclusive messages to numerous and diverse audiences, promote brand recognition, and reinforce institutional priorities. The Director manages a team that is responsible for enrollment-related electronic, web, and print communications in addition to creating a variety of events for prospective students and other influencers. The Director is expected to bring a high level of creativity, strategic thinking, and branding knowledge, as well as the ability to work successfully in a team-oriented environment.
Serve as the strategic lead for all Enrollment Management marketing-related communications:
- Work with various groups on campus, such as University Relations, Marketing Communications, creative services, and the academic areas, to improve outreach efforts to prospective students and admitted student yield efforts
- Work closely with the Vice Provost to coordinate communication efforts with outside constituents, such as high school and community college counselors, and work with recruitment staff on key messaging and talking points
- Work with the Vice Provost to research and execute best practices for strategies to improve communications and yield, and develop specific plans for doing so
- Manage the customer relations management (CRM) components of Slate to improve outreach efforts to various target populations of prospects and inquiries (underrepresented populations, transfer students, international students, women)
- Manage Admissions and Financial Aid social media and improve the use of these as a recruitment/communications tool
- Coordinate development of print materials and email messaging for EM outreach efforts
- Coordinate Admissions and Financial Aid websites for both messaging and look and feel
- Determine better way to help students and parents understand college costs, net price, financing, and financial aid in general
- Manage the budget for communications-related expenses
Serve as the strategic lead for all enrollment-coordinated special events and visitor experience:
- Lead the team members who plan and deliver special events including (but not limited to) open houses, admitted student days, school counselor events, and other off-campus and virtual events
- Lead the team members who develop, implement, and assess daily campus visit programs, as well as strategic oversight of the campus visitor center operation, which includes student tour guides
- Manage and assist with recruiting and coordinating campus community participation (faculty, staff, students) and work with third party vendors to deliver a unique experience reflective of UMass Amherst
- Manage the special events budget
Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, marketing, business administration, or related field
- Seven or more years of experience in developing, leading and assessing quantifiable communication initiatives as well as a thorough knowledge of, and demonstrated experience and technical acumen in the creation and production of various types of communication materials including but not limited to print, mobile, internet based, web, social media and event management
- Strong understanding of communication best practices tools and techniques
- Strong written and interpersonal communications skills
- Sensitivity to multicultural and socioeconomic issues
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master Degree in communications, marketing, business administration, or related field
- Experience in event management
- Demonstrated competency in analyzing data and translating program goals into successful operating plans
- Experience using CRMs
- Experience with Slate
- Experience with website content development and maintenance
Incumbent reports to the Vice Provost of Enrollment Management. Individual must be able to create strategy, prioritize goals and formulate independent decisions regarding procedures and operations. Position works with communications staff in University Relations and UMass Amherst schools and colleges to execute plans and objectives in accordance with overall enrollment goals.
Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must apply by the priority deadline of September 30, 2021 in order to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
To apply, please provide a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.