About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
About the UMass Fine Arts Center
Since its founding in 1975, the UMass Fine Arts Center has been a central force in the cultural, social, and academic life of the University, the Five College campuses, and the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. The Fine Arts Center's combination of educational, visual, and performing arts programs not only makes us unique, but it also secures a very vital and necessary position for us to meet the diverse needs of scholars, faculty, students, alumni, and the broader community.
The Fine Arts Center Technical Assistant III provides journeyman services in theatrical trade. Operates specialized theatrical equipment with minimal supervision for shows for the Fine Arts Center. *This is a temporary position that will go through June 30, 2022.*
- Executes basic to specialized theatrical tasks for events for the Fine Arts Center Operations team, such as: loading and unloading shows; supervising small crews of student stage hands; setting up and striking lights, audio equipment, and scenery as needed; stage management.
- Assists in the provision of technical support for outdoor, off-campus, and virtual sites as required.
- Advises production, rentals and student crews on state and local safety and fire regulations; oversees compliance with these codes.
- This is a part-time appointment which will not lead to full-time employment. The position carries no benefits and is paid at an hourly rate without adjustments.
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- 3-5 years theatrical experience
- In lieu of 3-5 years theatrical experience, a Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, Technical Theatre, Theatre or relevant field with some experience
- Knowledgeable in theatrical and stage practices and procedures
- Ability to supervise crews if necessary
- Ability to work independently
- Functional competencies in the use and operation of production lighting and sound equipment
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word and Outlook
- Ability and willingness to lift, push and pull heavy road cases and be an active participant in all aspects of load in/out
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Balancing; carrying; pulling/pushing; repetitive movement; standing; bending; climbing; reaching; twisting; lifting. Ability and willingness to lift, push and pull heavy road cases and be an active participant in all aspects of load in/out
Varies with production times and schedules
$18-30/hour depending on experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit your application online and include a resume and cover letter.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.