About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provide the primary support to the administrative and program efforts of the Western Regional Office of the Massachusetts Small Business Development Center (MSBDC) Network. Perform daily administrative functions of the office. Provides support for the office’s training program and events. Provides assistance with meeting the office’s strategic long-term goals. This position requires a high degree of decision making, the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at once, strong oral and written communications skills, and knowledge of computer systems.
- Provides administrative support for training programs, and major office sponsored public relations and special interest events. Coordinate training schedule, resources, sponsors, workshop location and speakers.
- Interact with and assess the needs of clients and the public; respond to questions regarding small business, MSBDC services, and other resources.
- Attend and/or provide logistical support for the Western Regional Office at workshops and other public events.
- Design and produce program, press and marketing materials, and training calendars.
- Act as liaison with other departments and organizations including the University of Massachusetts Isenberg School of Management, the MSBDC state headquarters, the U.S. Small Business Administration, banks, chambers of commerce, economic development organizations, educational institutions, and the local business community as part of the Western Mass Regional Office’s mission to assist in the establishment and growth of area small businesses.
- Serve as primary outreach and information and referral staff person in collaborative efforts with cooperating agencies.
- Perform office activities: telephone, scheduling, presentations, reports and forms, correspondence, client files.
- Plan office expenditures. Coordinate purchases with vendors. Resolve administrative problems. Recommend, develop, and implement new policies and procedures.
- Provide training and troubleshoot technical and functional computer problems. Devise data bases and related computerized reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Prior office experience.
- Excellent communication, customer service, and typing skills.
- Experience with PC’s and Windows.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Experience in organizing events for organizations.
- A high degree of computer system skills.
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at once.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bilingual language skills preferred– Spanish preferred.
8:30am - 5:00pm
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.