Senior IT Technical Project Manager
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Senior IT Technical Project Manager is responsible for managing technical project execution for IT teams working on Salesforce applications by developing, implementing, and enforcing schedule, scope and budget, managing vendors, managing and coordinating with other project managers, staff and vendors; maintaining efficient work flow on active IT projects; delivering the project on time commensurate with business requirements; and is accountable for ensuring project management efforts remains consistent with the IT strategic plan. The Senior IT Technical Project Manager is responsible for monitoring and documenting progress on Salesforce projects and risks with status reports and other communications, and alerting appropriate managers and executives when a project is off track.
This position requires time and people management skills in directing a variety of activities, in addition to an understanding of the ways in which information technology affects the business operations of the enterprise, and aligning the strategic goals of the enterprise. The position requires supervisory and management experience with the flexibility to deal with people at a variety of levels both within and external to the enterprise.
- Prepares project plans and makes scheduling decisions for IT Salesforce projects; manages active, pending and proposed projects for IT; reviews the status of all assigned projects. Works closely with managers and directors to set priorities, coordinate work efforts, and report project activities.
- Facilitates the orderly and efficient capture, storage, processing and dissemination of information regarding ongoing or upcoming projects; communicates status of key projects. Prepares regular reports on the status of deployment and implementation projects to which they are assigned; presents to various groups on status and implications of the implementation and deployment processes. Assesses and manages risks, and makes recommendations to keep projects on track.
- Assures proper documentation and communication of necessary controls; creates metrics and measurements that will be used in the implementation and deployment process to validate the achievement of objectives on a per-project basis.
- Develops and manages effective working relationships with other departments, groups and personnel with whom work must be coordinated or interfaced. Provides consulting support to enterprise and IT customers (both internal and external) to maximize project implementation effectiveness. Interfaces with vendors for purchasing, support, and consulting services as needed.
- Assists in developing long range information technology strategy. Works with managers and directors to develop departmental project budgets based on forecasted human resources, software and hardware requirements.
- Prepares, documents and maintains UMass IT workflows, design processes and checklists for projects to ensure accurate tracking and adherence to UMass IT standards architecture as well as UMass IT staff accountability for successful project completion.
- Implements and deploys enterprise’s IT infrastructure installations, modifications, upgrades and improvements.
- Develops and supports the virtual IT PMO with collaboration and input from IT managers.
- Contribute at a design level to project efforts as appropriate, bringing in necessary talent to evaluate changes and proposals.
- Provides technical leadership as needed.
- Provides mentorship and guidance to Salesforce project team leaders and members.
- Stays familiar with new technologies, processes and techniques for project management and be prepared to guide their introduction into the teams.
- Bachelor’s degree with 6 years of progressive experience in technical project management or associate's degree with 8 years of progressive experience in technical project management.
- Demonstrated leadership and people management skills.
- Experience in software engineering or managing enterprise-scale projects.
- Familiarity with Agile methodology in software development.
- Expertise and experience with standard software engineering practices and software lifecycle management.
- Experience with industry standard project management and team collaboration software, such as the Atlassian suite.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding organization skills to track a variety of on-going projects in a busy environment.
- IT Project Management Certification(s).
- Certification in Agile methodologies.
- Experience working with Salesforce and/or Marketing Cloud.
- Experience working with IT staff and University administrators at various levels.
- Knowledge of and experience with contracting and negotiating.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
M-F 8:30am- 5:00pm with some work on weekends and evenings.
PSU Salary Chart
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit your application online and include a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references in order to ensure consideration. The position will be open until it is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.