About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Maintenance Technician II maintains buildings and related structures by applying appropriate skills and methods in painting, carpentry, and masonry. As Painter applies paint, varnish, wallpaper, and similar materials in finishing and decorating interior and exterior surfaces. As Carpenter installs, maintains, finishes, and repairs architectural surfaces, structures, hardware, building system components, structural elements, finishes and repairs equipment/furnishings within campus-wide structures and areas. Mason constructs and repairs brick, block and plasters walls, walkways, repairs manholes and catch basins, performs demolition work, mixes concrete and mortar, applies appropriate skills and methods as necessary in the areas of Masonry. May assist other employees in the performance of their work. Performs related work as required. This is a maintenance function, which includes overtime, returning to work between shifts when directed or called. Responsibilities also include to updating the service desk with current phone number.
- Responds to routine maintenance and emergency calls.
- Maintains buildings and structures utilizing skills, methods, and tools of the carpentry trade to construct, alter, repair, and/or install walls, stairs, floors, ceiling, windows doors, hardware, ramps, shelving, furniture, etc.
- Prepares surfaces and applies products to industry standards, such as paint, stain, varnish and/or wall covering to surfaces by means of brush, roller, sprayer or other appropriate equipment to finish or refinish surfaces.
- Erects ladders and scaffolding as needed to perform assigned work.
- Performs related duties such as wall construction, layout, and demolition, working out of a bucket truck of lift.
- Interprets and/or sketches layouts of work: estimates length of time, quantities of material and labor needed to complete job.
- May at times, provide functional supervision.
- Apply masonry techniques using the proper tools to construct, alter, repair and/or install walls, stairs, floors, ceilings, windows, and doors in University buildings and performs related work as required.
- Required to interpret blue prints, construction drawings, sketches of work to be done.
- Operates motor vehicle, on and off campus, as assigned.
- Practices and promotes excellent customer service in the workplace and exhibits a clear commitment to the diverse needs of customers.
- Performs other related duties as required or directed.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Three years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in painting, plus demonstrated competence in carpentry and masonry. A diploma or certificate from a recognized trade, technical or vocational school, at the high school level or higher, with a major in painting, carpentry or masonry may be substituted for experience and ability to demonstrate competence in all three trades.
- Current valid Massachusetts Class D Driver’s License required.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of the following Maintenance procedures and repairs related to Masonry, Carpentry and Painting.
- Considerable knowledge of the tools, materials, methods and standard practices of the carpentry, painting and Masonry trades.
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazard, precautions and safety practices and procedures in the Masonry, Carpentry and Painting trades.
- Skill in the use of electric and non-electric hand tools.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and to read and interpret documents such as plans, blueprints and drawings.
- Ability to make simple estimates of time and materials.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and to climb and work from ladders and scaffolds.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Physical stamina and endurance, ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others, to work as a team, and to interact with others with tact and respect.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Must be able to:
- Use electric and non-electric hand tools
- Work in confined spaces
- Climb and work from ladders and scaffolds
- Lift and carry heavy objects
- Have physical stamina and endurance and ability to stand for prolonged periods of time
This is a maintenance function that includes overtime work and returning to work when directed or called. Incumbent is responsible to update the service desk with a current phone number.
Third Shift—Sunday through Thursday nights, 11 pm to 7 am next morning.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants complete application in full and submit a résumé, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. This position may remain posted until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.