About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
May act as contact with State inspectors, signs official inspection documents and oversees and coordinates building maintenance and repair work. Receives supervision from the Building Maintenance Manager or persons of a higher title.
- Plan building maintenance and repair work in a variety of trades.
- Review and oversee UMA Building Maintenance and Service Contracts.
- Prepare estimates of labor, material and equipment costs according to accepted Engineered Performance Standards, Unit Price Contracts and Means Cost Data for proposed work based on plans, drawings, specifications, work descriptions, field sketches and site conditions. Use R. S. Means or current cost estimating data system to assure best price is provided by contractors when necessary.
- Ensure that Massachusetts Regulatory Codes are applied to planned work.
- Oversee and coordinate service contract work performed by outside contractors and coordinates such activities with Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) and Building Maintenance staff.
- Inspect work in progress and completed work to verify adherence to and compliance with specifications and standards.
- Inspect buildings and building systems to determine cost of materials required for maintenance, repair or replacement of parts; note hazardous conditions; and establish work priorities based on safety requirements and the operational needs of the facility.
- Determine the need for, and acquire supplies, materials and equipment required to perform assigned work.
- Maintain records and prepare reports concerning work progress, work completed costs, problems encountered, equipment and materials used, and employees’ time and attendance. Make recommendations regarding assigned activities.
- Consult with manufacturer representatives, contractors, engineers, campus staff, EH&S, regulatory agencies and building inspectors to resolve technical problems related to the planning and estimating of work.
- Attend weekly work management scheduling planning meetings and provide input for the development of the Physical Plant shop work load plan.
- Drive to various campus building locations to verify site conditions and estimate and plan approved work.
- Practices and promotes excellent customer service in the work place, and exhibits a clear commitment to the diverse needs of customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Possession and maintenance of a current and valid class D Drivers License.
- Massachusetts Unrestricted Construction Supervisors License, Journeyman Plumbing or Electrical license is required.
- Massachusetts Public Safety OSHA-10 (applicant has 6 months from date of hire to obtain.)
- Knowledge of planning and estimating for building construction and repair activities.
- Five years working experience with building maintenance systems including familiarity with typical materials, tools and work procedures used for building maintenance.
- Experience with computers and Microsoft software programs.
- Ability to break jobs down to their basic tasks and then estimate the labor, materials and equipment necessary to accomplish the tasks.
- Working knowledge of Massachusetts Regulatory Codes and ability to interpret the language of, and apply the codes to specific jobs.
- Ability to climb ladders and steep stairs.
- Ability to read, interpret and prepare plans, specifications, drawings, sketches and diagrams.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to deal effectively with campus customers.
- Typing and computer skills.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Must be able to access all areas of work sites including climbing ladders and steep stairs.
- Possible exposure to weather conditions.
- 50% or more of work time may be spent in field, performing site inspections and coordinating work
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- MCPPO Trainings.
- Ability to use computerized maintenance management systems for estimating, scheduling, material requisitioning and tracking work.
- Training and increased proficiency in work planning and estimating techniques.
- Customer service training.
- Knowledge of campus HVAC systems and Building Maintenance activities.
- All other trainings as assigned
It is your responsibility to update the service desk with your current phone number.
Must wear university clothing when supplied.
Mon-Fri First Shift. A percentage of work will be off shift (nights, weekends and holidays); this is a maintenance function which includes overtime, returning to work between shifts when directed or called.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a resume and contact information (phone and email) for three professional references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.