Assistant Director of Communications
Job no: 510487
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Categories: Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Athletics
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Responsible for all public relations activities for assigned Division I sport programs while enhancing the overall image of the University of Massachusetts.
- Responsible for oversight of all public relations activities of assigned Division I sport programs which includes but is not limited to planning, organizing, directing, and supervising public relations activities such as: press conferences, student-athlete, coaches, and administrative staff interviews, feature stories, social media content, website management, photography, statistics, event operations, publications, interaction with local, regional and national media outlets.
- Serves as the primary media contact for all day-to-day public relations activities for sport programs as assigned.
- Responsible for creation, preparation, dispersal, and approval of media materials including but not limited to, press releases, media advisories, media guides, preseason prospectus, and post season tournament guides. Establish and maintain statistics, records, and team and individual information that could be used by the Athletic Department, University, Conferences, and various outside organizations concerning historical and current information of a student-athlete and a program success.
- Maintain daily contact with coaches, student-athletes and athletic staff in an effort to generate potential stories and releases that will enhance the Athletic Department and University image. This entails interaction with members of the media in an effort to place positive public relations pieces in local, regional and national media outlets through various mediums including but not limited to newspaper, magazines, television, radio and internet publications.
- Serve as a liaison between the athletic department and media, general public and University community establishing personal contacts and providing information as requested.
- Monitor and maintain websites/social media channels in a manner that will expand the department’s information services and increase visibility to such groups as recruits, media, alumni, and fans. Write, edit, and disperse weekly press releases, as well as, timely releases on breaking news. Supervise media work areas and media staff at assigned events.
- Responsible for adhering to all Department, University, NCAA, and state and federal regulations.
- Keep abreast of current trends and developments in the field through publications, seminars, conferences, and peer group associations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required.
- One to three years of experience in a sports information, communications, or media relations office, or comparable experience required.
- Knowledge of PC and Apple computers.
- Knowledge and skills using desktop publishing (i.e. Adobe Creative Suite).
- Familiarity with social media services, online platforms such as Adobe Spark, Twitter Media Studio, or comparable technologies.
- Excellent skills in writing, editing and publications.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
Varied schedule based on the demands of the position. Nights, weekends and holidays are required.
PSU Level 25
PSU salary schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit your application online and include a cover letter, resume and contact names of three professional references to ensure consideration. The search will remain open until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend