About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under general supervision, performs maintenance and repair of custodial equipment. Work involves identifying, diagnosis and repairing malfunctions for all custodial equipment. Employee is also responsible for ensuring all parts, supplies and materials are ordered and available for utilization in the equipment.
Reports directly to the Technical Specialist II (Equipment Relief Technician) with Custodial Services.
- Services and maintains equipment in the Custodial Department; Performs electrical and mechanical repairs on custodial equipment.
- Inspects cleaning equipment for abuse and helps determine liability for damage.
- Assists Technical Assistant II in conducting training sessions on various cleaning equipment.
- Tests repaired equipment for compliance to EH&S and other safety standards.
- Maintains parts inventory for all custodial equipment.
- Performs engine repair and rebuilds small engine custodial equipment.
- Performs preventative maintenance work on all custodial equipment.
- Maintains records of all repair work per unit on all custodial equipment.
- Responds to emergency pickup or site service of large equipment, walk behinds and riding scrubbers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Requires the ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, to follow oral and written instructions. Must be able to communicate effectively and efficiently in Standard English.
- Requires the ability to apply rational systems to solve practical problems, to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
- Requires the ability to coordinate hands and eyes rapidly and accurately in using small hand tools.
- Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to perform under stress and when confronted with persons acting under stress.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of electrical and mechanical systems.
- Considerable knowledge of the use of mechanical tools.
- General knowledge of the operating principles of small engines.
- Ability to train others in the use of various types of cleaning equipment.
- Ability to maintain simple logs and records as well as the ability to generate reports.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Balancing, carrying, pulling/ pushing, repetitive movement, standing, bending, reaching, driving, sitting, twisting, and lifting
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON THE JOB (list knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Gain knowledge of custodial, Physical Plant, various types of equipment
- Become familiar with Physical Plant’s inventory software system.
- Become familiar with University buildings and locations of all equipment.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.