About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provides office management and clerical support for day to day operations of the Landscape Services, Construction Services, and Waste Management Departments. Reports to the Manger of Landscape and Construction Services. Functionally supervised by the Head of Grounds Service Section – Landscape Services.
- Oversees main office operations for Landscape and Construction Services Departments.
- Keeps accurate and up to date information on personnel including services area lists, seniority, shift information, and contact information.
- Maintains departmental time and attendance reports, overtime logs, and all other necessary forms and reports. Maintains records of employee leaves requests. Prepares and maintains monthly attendance calendar and distributes to shop supervisors for roster building.
- Maintains records of service contracts for property maintenance and snow removal. Organizes and records all information needed for review of services. Collects and maintains invoices and submits for payment.
- Uses Tririga work management system to create and close work tasks, manage assets and track parts and inventory for the department. Runs queries in Trierga for new work tasks daily to distribute to supervisors.
- Uses Tririga work management system to manage the Small Engine Shop inventory and parts assigning to specific equipment.
- Assists manger and supervisors with the hiring of employees including preparation of documents, coordination of related procedures, and the completion of documentation for classified hiring process including checking hiring packets for completion and documents for proper signatures.
- Liaisons with Facilities and Campus Services Human Resources Department for information pertaining to employee accrued time balances, years of service, industrial accident paperwork/status, Family Medical Leave Paperwork/Status, retiree paperwork, and other human resource issues.
- First contact for customer requests for Department.
- Supports manager and supervisor in the preparation of Form 30 job descriptions.
- Maintains departmental time and attendance records using time-keeping software program (Kronos) for up to 100 employees. This includes AFSCME, PSU, season, and student employees.
- Catalogs and maintains all data relative to the snow and ice removal program. Maintains contract information for vendors, contractors and employees; on call schedules and rotations; work tasks and purchase order numbers, and records of emergency weather responses.
- Maintains records of services contracts for property maintenance and snow removal. Organizes and records all information needed for review of services. Collects and maintains invoices and submits for payment.
- Creates correspondence, drafts memos, letters, reports and other documents for the department managers and supervisors.
- Maintains office files, opens and distributes office mail, takes minutes during meetings.
- Answers inquiries relative to Grounds Services Department rules, regulations, policies, and standards.
- Works with campus departments to create monthly schedules/calendars for campus events.
- Orders supplies and oversees office equipment contracts.
- Purchases items using University Pro-Card.
- Schedules and arranges for conferences, meetings, interviews, appointments, and similar activities by reserving required facilities, checking the availability of parties involved and notifying appropriate individuals of dates, times, and location for manager and supervisors.
- Proofreads typed material for grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors and for proper format, accuracy and completeness.
- Operates general and specialized office machinery such as area phone center, copiers, fax machines, computers.
- Types confidential annual performance reviews, letters of discipline, offers of employment and grievance responses.
- Works with computer software such as word processing, spreadsheets, and work management system
- Acts as the Pro-Card Manager and Travel Manager for the Department.
- Maintains communication with managers, supervisors, and staff.
- Furnishes updated landscape and constructions services and waste management to Facilities and manager as required.
- Serves as a front-line Grounds department contact with internal constituents and external agencies.
- Responds to customer related inquiries.
- Promotes and assures continuous improvement; establishes and maintains productive relationships with personnel that reflects a strong commitment to customer service and respect for a diverse campus community.
- Supports administration and specialty projects as requested.
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Three years of office experience
- Ability to develop and execute office procedures.
- Working knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Ability to operate various office machines.
- Good customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain harmonious working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, campus agencies, and the general public.
- Ability to prepare reports.
- Ability to prioritize workload.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical Office Environment Activity
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (list knowledge’s, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of Facilities and Campus Services policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
- Knowledge of Facilities and Campus Services work management system (Trirega)
- Knowledge of Morse Watchman Keywatcher management system.
- Knowledge of Facilities and Campus Services time-keeping software (Kronos)
- Knowledge of University’s purchasing procedures, travel documentation process, and human resources procedures.
This is an essential position
Mon-Fri 7AM- 3PM
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.