About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Clinical Laboratory Technician contributes to the day to day functions for the Institute for Applied Life Sciences (IALS) Clinical Testing Center focused on COVID-19 testing. Assists with service excellence in test performance. Contributes to performing high complexity CLIA laboratory procedures and tests using established protocols. Monitors, screens and troubleshoots devices, tests and procedures, and recognizes anomalies. Is fully proficient in the use of all equipment and procedures for assigned area.
- Evaluates specimens for testing, utilizes appropriate criteria and upholds established performance standards. Applies established criteria for testing, and analysis of entire process from preparation, conducting test, functioning of devices and procedures to ensure quality test results.
- Performs waived, moderate and high complexity laboratory tests, including molecular assays and robotics.
- Contributes to maintenance of equipment and tools
- Performs quality assurance testing, and routine equipment calibration.
- Consults with supervisors and other personnel as appropriate on test results, requirements and testing protocols.
- Maintains appropriate records for specimens, tests and data. Utilizes computer systems in reporting and documenting analysis.
- Participates in required competency assessment and proficiency testing activities. Follows established procedures to perform all lab tests to obtain acceptable data.
- Ensures all work areas are clean, safe and organized.
- Contributes to inventory of material, supplies and equipment.
- Complies with established Testing Center policies, procedures and objectives.
- Ability to work with others, self-driven and works well in an interdisciplinary team.
- Contributes to a collaborative, team relationship with peers and colleagues to help foster a positive work environment.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associate Degree in Medical Technology, Chemistry, Biological Science or an equivalent related science.
- Current with ongoing education requirements for continuous certification.
- Requires the ability to endure periods of heavy workload and stress.
- Requires the ability to accept constructive feedback and initiate appropriate actions to correct situations.
- Must possess ability to coordinate eyes and hands to fingers rapidly and accurately in making precise movements with speed.
- Requires the ability to use computer based systems to record, tract, review, and interpret test results.
- Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test requirements and factors affecting test interpretation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Excellent organizational skills, highly motivated and able to learn quickly.
- Must be able to distinguish color coded samples.
- Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office programs.
- Moderate lifting up to 35 pounds.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Certified Medical Technician, ASCP or equivalent is preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year clinical experience performing high complexity testing in a clinical laboratory with AS degree preferred.
Appointment to end 8/31/2022 with possibility of extension contingent upon funding and need.
Shift hours dependent on lab needs.
USA/MTA, Grade 15
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.