About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under general direction from the Senior Assistant Director for Fitness, this position develops and manages comprehensive programs focusing on cardiovascular training, strength training, and related personal training services offered by the Department of Campus Recreation.
- Recruits, hires, trains, schedules, supervises, evaluates the job performance of, and provides leadership for 30-60 student staff members hired as fitness supervisors and personal trainers. Provides continuous education for staff to enhance skills and obtain/maintain appropriate certifications through workshops, instructional seminars, and conference attendance.
- Manages, promotes, supervises and evaluates diversified fitness programs, including but not limited to, cardio, respiratory and muscular conditioning, Olympic lifting, personal training, associated customized fitness training services, fitness assessments, and related educational outreach including collaborative wellbeing offerings.
- Coordinates, supervises and evaluates a comprehensive program of equipment maintenance, including preventative maintenance and repair for all free weight, selectorized and cardiovascular equipment and Campus Recreation fitness areas. Evaluates and recommends fitness equipment for purchase, repair parts, materials and supplies required to meet program and facility needs.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and guidelines, including the assesses potential risks associated with fitness programs and facilities; coordinates the development of policies and guidelines regarding Campus Recreation and fitness programs; coordinates the development of learning outcomes for associated participants and student employees; and researches liability issues and updates related Campus Recreation policies and procedures to ensure appropriate standards of care and safety.
- Manages allocated budget. Participates in strategic planning and related Campus Recreation goal setting and assessments. Provides related data and information to document areas of responsibility.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Works collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfill the mission of Student Affairs and Campus Life.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree with two (2) years of Fitness experience in a recreation program, OR Master’s degree in Kinesiology, Sports Management, Higher Education, or related field, with one (1) year of Fitness experience in a collegiate recreation program
- Ability to demonstrate effective customer service skills, including but not limited to strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, positive, and collaborative working relationships
- Ability to prepare and monitor budget information, including make purchasing decisions based on best practices, independent research, and judgement
- Ability to plan and prepare presentations/training on strength & conditioning, and physiology principles to diverse populations
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments
- Ability to train and supervise student employees
- Knowledge and ability to interpret industry standards related to safety of participants in fitness and strength training setting, as a risk manager.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- First Aid/CPR/AED instructor certification
- Current Personal Training Certification through NSCA, ACE, NASM, AFAA, or other nationally recognized agency
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office and Recreation Center environment & activity
- 37.5 hour per week position; must be available to work evenings and weekends
Special Instructions to Applicants
In order to ensure consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 professional references prior to the priority deadline of February 4, 2022. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.