About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Work as part of a team to administer UMass Amherst’s compensation programs related to job classifications, desk audits, compensation policy, Wage & Hour Laws regulations, and bargaining unit contract guidance.
- Coordinate the classification appeal process for non-exempt employees. Ensure adherence to union and state guidelines. Explain the classification system and job analysis procedures to employees and supervisors through meetings and written communication. Complete desk audit interviews and document findings to make recommendations regarding appropriate job classifications. Attend appeal hearings and respond to questions posed by the appeal hearing officer.
- Conduct preliminary reviews of position descriptions submitted in the Talent Management Software system and distribute to the appropriate Compensation Analyst. Assist with the classification of non-exempt or temporary positions, as needed.
- Respond to and triage compensation related cases submitted via Salesforce in a timely manner.
- Support data integrity by auditing and updating information in HR systems.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc compensation reports, as needed.
- Participate in projects from conceptualization to implementation.
- Participate in submission of annual salary surveys.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High School Diploma.
- Two years of experience in human resources administration or related administrative field.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook; strong technical aptitude.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to navigate difficult conversations effectively.
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of federal, state, and local compensation laws and regulations in order to ensure compliance.
- High level of discretion, tact, and professionalism; capable of maintaining confidentiality.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Experience with PeopleSoft, PageUp, or Salesforce.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
Monday - Friday; 8:30 – 5:00.
Non-unit; Grade 15
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. The position will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.