About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under general direction from the Director of SACL Communications, and with functional supervision from the Director of Campus Recreation, the Campus Life and Wellbeing (CLaW) Communications Coordinator is responsible for marketing, communications, social media, and strategic initiatives in the CLaW portfolio, and as dictated by the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Campus Life and Wellbeing. Work will be performed in accordance with established University and Student Affairs and Campus Life (SACL) guidelines. Serving a key role in SACL communications efforts, this position will also collaborate on SACL Communications initiatives outside of the CLaW unit.
Marketing and Communications:
- Develop and implement comprehensive wellbeing-related marketing and communications plans to include branding, timelines, objectives, and related data analysis for projects in support of Campus Recreation, the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH), and the Center for Health Promotion (CHP). The focus of this work is in advancing a holistic vision of wellness for campus, and executing CLaW-wide communication strategies and objectives. This includes website management, mailings, flyers/brochures, banners, posters, email communications, calendars, presentations, etc. Develops content and maintains digital signage system; gathers relevant content and publishes.
- Responsible for developing and updating wellbeing content in the "My UMass" University-wide, one-stop app (or future university applications similar in intent) designed to keep students informed of key policies, procedures, and events. Lead collaborations as liaison from SACL Communications to University offices, University Relations, and related stakeholders to create, test, and maintain content including, but not limited to emergency procedures, incident reports, campus navigation tools, event calendars, and more. Facilitate engagement by developing wellbeing campaign ideas and supporting key SACL communications strategies that foster audience (potential and current students, faculty, staff, parents and families, donors, alumni, and corporate partners) connection with interfaces and each other.
- Potential to supervise student staff as needs of the administrative unit are identified. Manage the hiring, on-boarding, training, development, scheduling/assignments, performance reviews, disciplinary concerns, and off-boarding for student staff. Engage staff in unit, department, divisional and institutional goals and events. Lead regular and effective meetings, provide context for decisions, foster open lines of communication, maintain confidentiality, and cultivate a staff culture rooted in collaboration, civility, adaptability, and professionalism.
- Lead assessment on communications initiatives for CLaW departments, serve as a SACL Assessment Liaison, and take responsibility for the implementation of fair, effective, confidential, and well-documented assessment practices within the scope of the position. Coordinate with SACL Communications, Student Affairs Technology Services, and SACL Assessment in the collection of data for reporting and optimization with attention given to email marketing systems. Create cohesive, efficient and sustainable procedures that focus on continuous improvement, are rooted in core competencies development and align with University, Student Affairs & Campus Life, and departmental guidelines and expectations.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Works collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfill the mission of Student Affairs and Campus Life.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, information/graphic design, technology or related field plus a minimum of two (2) years of experience managing websites and/or digital media.
- Experience in public health communications; public health information management
- Experience managing websites using CMS.
- Must have strong user (student) understanding and demonstrated expertise in Web content, usability, architecture, development and design.
- Familiarity with social media, including Linked In, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Vimeo, YouTube, Digg, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, Livestream, Foursquare, etc.
- Experience in a customer-oriented environment. Strong organizational, written, and customer service skills. Must be able to work constructively in a team environment. High energy, hands-on management and coaching abilities. Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to move multiple projects forward to successful completion and to coordinate the work of others in a leadership role. Ability to work in a challenging environment with competing priorities.
- Excellent planning and web project management skills across multiple simultaneously
- Excellent skills in graphic design software (i.e., Adobe Suite –Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- Strong work ethic, ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments and projects.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud, or other CRM platforms
- Knowledge of multimedia content platforms and databases: HTML5, Drupal, Joomla, CSS, PHP
- Demonstrated experience with Drupal.
- Familiarity with video production/editing tools (Final Cut Pro).
- Experience in higher education environment.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment/activity.
Typical work schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm.
Required to work some nights and weekends.
Exempt Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include with your application a cover letter, resume, and the contact information of three (3) professional references. Applications received prior to February 4, 2022 will receive priority. Posting will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.