About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the School of Public Health and Health Sciences (SPHHS) Information Technology Director, the Technical Assistant will provide tier 2 hardware and software support to faculty, staff, and graduate students within SPHHS. Works with the IT Director on school wide and University wide information technology and information systems related initiatives to increase productivity, security and staff/faculty functionality.
- Provides tier 2 on-site and remote computer hardware & software support for Apple, and Microsoft Windows desktops, laptops, and tablets including off-site support for departments and buildings associated with SPHHS.
- Works with tier 1 technical assistants to address escalated support questions.
- Provides UMass sanctioned e-mail support for handheld devices from Apple, Android, etc.
- Maintains various internal IT documents for Inventory Control Management, and patch deployment.
- Updates IT documents for troubleshooting.
- Images new machines purchased by staff and faculty.
- Assists in special IT related technology initiatives/directives guided by SPHHS administration.
- Provides remote support for users in different buildings or off-site.
- Travels to various buildings on campus for on-site assistance.
- Supports and promotes a climate of diversity across staff, faculty and students; both in the Department and across the University.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers as needed.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High School Diploma.
- Minimum of 2 years desktop computer troubleshooting experience.
- A proven track record of a demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Ability to organize, set priorities, work with a minimum amount of supervision, and follow through on work assignments.
- Excellent file management & document maintenance skills.
- Extensive experience in the use of personal computers and networked applications, including such skills as word processing, spreadsheet, calendar management, and database application use.
- Expertise using a variety of computer support tools, such as Dameware, Remote Desktop and VNC.
- Good attention to detail. Accurate when working with clients.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships among co-workers and University staff.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to work independently & take initiative.
- Ability to maintain accurate record of work done & outstanding tasks.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to promote a positive & respectful working environment, including collaborative, transparent, and harmonious working relationships.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associate's degree or specialized technical support training.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Carries and manipulates heavy computer equipment to install and set up systems, servers weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Job must be performed primarily on site.
- Monday through Friday, 37.5 hours/week.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
- May have “on call” duties.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.