About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Checks Catering products for accuracy against quality standards; delivers products and sets up events to customers in a safe, courteous, and timely manner. Prepares simple hot and cold foods and beverages using food service equipment and standard recipes; cleans equipment and production areas in a food service operation; washes dishes, pots and pans; and operates a cash register to make cash sales transactions.
- Prepares hot and cold beverages using standard recipes and established procedures.
- Uses manual or mechanical food service equipment in accordance with department procedures including use of available safety equipment.
- Cleans equipment and food preparation areas using standard methods to maintain department cleanliness and sanitation standards.
- Operates motor vehicle to deliver food and beverage orders and set up events all around campus via the most effective route to ensure complete orders are delivered according to established time frames and customers’ needs.
- Documents delivery, accuracy and receipt of orders by the customer according to Auxiliary Enterprises directives and reports any discrepancies to manager on duty.
- Increases customer satisfaction by collecting information, feedback on service and resolving complaints per policy; communicates information back to manager on duty.
- Provides quality customer service through positive and professional interaction with customers in person or by phone.
- In charge of linen orders-makes sure the linen room is clean and organized at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year of work experience in food service.
- Working knowledge of methods, materials, tools and equipment normally used in a food service operation.
- Working knowledge of food service sanitation procedures.
- Ability to provide superior customer service.
- Ability to read a map and accurately plan a route.
- Ability to handle difficult customers with tact.
- Capable of following written instructions and documented procedures.
- Effective listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with other department employees and a diverse clientele.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks normal to food service operation.
- Must have a Valid Class D Driver’s License.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Requires the ability to balance, carry, push, pull, stand, bend, climb, drive, reach, twist, lift and perform repetitive movements.
- Required to work in all weather conditions.
- Work will include being and out of coolers and freezers.
- This position is designated as essential personnel.
- Supervision is received from the Catering Operations Manager.
- Varies (40 hours/week).
- 35 week minimum.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit resume and contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.