About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Marketing Data Analyst is responsible for building the strategic and tactical foundation for data-driven marketing efforts. Reporting to the Executive Director of Marketing Strategy, this individual will analyze data to work smarter in order to implement effective brand and acquisition campaigns, social media campaigns and website optimization (user testing) to enhance the digital experience.
The Marketing Data Analyst will serve as an analytical authority and consultant, working seamlessly and collaboratively with partners and manage research vendors as required. The Marketing Data Analyst will develop key performance indicators (KPIs) against established goals, and with the analysis of data, translate the information to provide strategic actionable recommendations and guide marketing and communications strategies to reach those goals in the areas of social media, websites, emails, visitor experience, paid marketing campaigns, etc.
- Collect, organize and analyze data from multiple marketing channels.
- Bring the best ideas to analyze massive data sets, make insightful cross-channel recommendations, and communicate strategic ideas.
- Connect the dots across channels through data (including display media, site, search, email, and social) to provide a holistic view of marketing efforts.
- Collaborate with internal teams, individual schools, colleges, units and external partners to drive success for UMass Amherst marketing goals.
- Establish KPIs based on outlined goals for the university's marketing and communications efforts and for other college/school, unit, or initiative as assigned.
- Create and deploy measurement plans in conjunction with the UMass Amherst Marcom group.
- Guide audience strategy: increase understanding of audience insights – individuals and/or group characteristics and behaviors and aid in defining segmentation strategies by finding opportunities to increase awareness and engagement within audience segments.
- Benchmark efforts against peer and aspirational institutions, as well as industry leaders.
- Streamline data between multiple data sources (including multiple web properties) into digestible reporting dashboards for different internal audiences.
- Strive for model efficiency and look for data model improvements.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, advertising, communications, business administration or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) plus years professional related statistical and analytical experience.
- Understanding of data analysis with the aptitude to know what is significant and reliable data worth tracking, analyzing/reviewing, and reporting on/presenting data in a digestible manner for cross functionally for variety of internal stakeholders (with different priorities).
- Experience using marketing analytics tools like TrackMaven, Brandwatch, Hootsuite (social media analytics), Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager. Google analytics certification (required), proven proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of relational databases, relationship marketing strategic marketing principles, promotional strategies, and/or online marketing. Familiarity and experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Slate, or other email and CRM tools desired.
- Strength in analytical thinking and an eye for business with a demonstrated ownership of data, embracing big picture objectives and follow through on details.
- Capability to adeptly digest information with the ability to creatively and articulately propose innovative marketing and communications strategies based on data.
- Ability to segment analytical findings and insights for varying audiences and programs; proficiency in survey development and result analysis desired.
- Experience executing A/B testing.
- Experience with data visualization and dashboard tools.
- A confident, can-do attitude with strong problem-solving skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and successfully prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Higher education preferred and/or demonstrated success leading the development of communication and marketing strategies in collaboration with individuals and groups across organizational lines.
- Google Data Studio training completion (preferred).
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.