About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Director of Web Content in the Marketing and Communications (MarCom) group maintains the University’s public-facing institutional web content and ensures that websites are updated regularly with relevant, effective, and exciting material.
- Oversees the planning, organization, creation, and publishing of website content.
- Manages and mentors web content team.
- Collaborates with Senior Writer in Creative to ensure all information posted conforms to University editorial standards and guidelines and is tied to the University’s brand pillars.
- Collaborates with University partners to revise existing pages and create new web content, ensuring that all information posted is accurate and on brand in voice and tone.
- Works with University partners to deploy digital content created by MarCom members and/or campus partners in a timely and accurate manner.
- Translates print and electronic documents into formats suitable for web-based presentation.
- Performs minor image manipulation tasks such as creating document thumbnails.
- Maintains directory structure for files and images not managed within the content management system.
- Assesses the usability of the pages, making recommendations for changes as appropriate.
- Demonstrates multicultural awareness and contributes to cultivating an inclusive, diverse, and respectful University community.
- Monitors and analyzes campaign data and present actionable insights.
- Stays up to date on industry trends, best practices, and tactics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure):
- Bachelor's degree and more than 5 years’ experience in content strategy, content design, web writing, or a similar field.
- Previous supervisory experience with the ability to lead and motivate staff to produce high quality work.
- Proven skills creating, managing, and maintaining taxonomies in content management systems (CMS).
- Excellent writer and communicator who is organized, detail-oriented, and analytical.
- Familiarity with search engine optimization and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) writing techniques.
- Familiarity with front-end design (HTML, CSS, JS).
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Chicago/AP style, grammar, and efficient writing.
- Ability to prioritize goals and formulate independent decisions regarding procedures and operations.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure):
- Demonstrated experience with a CMS (Drupal, WordPress, other).
- A mix of public/private industry, higher-education, and nonprofit experience.
- Strong commitment to working collaboratively with campus colleagues and external constituencies to advance the overall strategic goals of the university.
- Experience with modern collaborative tools such as MS Teams, SharePoint, Wrike, or Basecamp.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee’s work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Level 29
PSU Hiring Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a resume, cover letter and contact information for three references with your application, one of which should be a current or prior supervisor.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.