Utility Mechanical Operations Manager
Job no: 518299
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Utilities Mechanical
Categories: Custodial, Facilities/Grounds
UMass Amherst (UMA), the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Utility Mechanical Operations Manager manages the operation, maintenance, and repair of the campus steam, sanitary, potable water, RO water, and storm water distribution systems and related equipment.
- Manages and develops all maintenance personnel including coordination of daily activities, scheduling, and evaluating of staff performance.
- Responsible for staffing and training all personnel assigned to the Physical Plant Utility Mechanical Maintenance Division.
- Works with union officials to maintain a harmonious relationship. Acts as first step hearing officer when needed. Must be prepared to represent the Physical Plant at third step grievances and arbitrations involving Mechanical utility personnel.
- Coordinates Mechanical Utilities needs meeting. Supervision of Plumbing with the State Plumbing Inspector. Files online permits for licensed Mechanical Utilities personnel to perform plumbing or gas work with the Board of State Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters. Maintains inspection documentation.
- Performs diagnoses, tests, maintenance, and repair on various mechanical distribution systems and related equipment.
- Installs and repairs underground steam distribution piping, potable water piping, chilled water piping, storm water piping, RO water, and sanitary water piping systems using plans and drawings.
- Possesses complete knowledge of the layout and characteristics of the campus steam, water, sanitary, storm, and RO water distribution systems.
- Possesses knowledge of the campus lock out/tag out and confined space, trenching, and shoring procedures, as well as the procedures and dangers involved with starting up and securing the defined systems.
- Performs construction work in accordance with safe procedures and working from work orders and drawings.
- Performs necessary work required for service restoration under storm, cold and emergency conditions.
- Interprets maps, work orders, and utility diagrams and verifies “Dig Safe” requests for planned excavations.
- Provides input for the mechanical maintenance section of the Utility Department’s annual budget. Manages the mechanical utility maintenance portion of the Utility Department’s budget.
- Develops and supervises the standards of maintenance and safety for the campus mechanical distribution systems. This requires a working knowledge of steam, water, chilled water, storm water, RO distribution systems, trenching and excavating, and confined space.
- Performs other duties as required by Physical Plant Management.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Associate’s Degree in Engineering or Business Discipline or related field OR a Master Plumber or Pipefitter License with five years’ of relevant experience working on steam distribution utility systems.
- Five years’ experience working on construction or maintenance of steam, water, sanitary, chilled water, and RO water distribution utility systems.
- One year of supervisory experience.
- Thorough knowledge of standard practices involved with mechanical underground and control installed systems.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of how to apply Mechanical Distribution Construction Standards.
- Ability to climb and lift heavy equipment and works in high places and confined spaces.
- Valid State of Massachusetts Driver’s License.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Outdoor work in varied weather conditions is possible. Ability to climb, work in underground tunnels and vaults, work in confined spaces engage in heavy lifting and other strenuous activities.
Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 3:00 pm.
This position is essential. This includes the obligation to work overtime, to return to work between scheduled shifts when directed, and to report to work during any delays, early departures, and closures. Responsible to update the service desk with current phone numbers.
Applicants please complete application in full and submit a résumé, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Position may remain posted until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend