About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs routine manual and domestic job duties in a food service retail operation including: cooking, displaying, selling, and serving food. The basic purpose of this work is to perform food truck truck driving, propane safety, cooking tasks, cleaning and food serving work as needed.
- Operates and remains current on standard procedures for the safe operation of a food truck according to departmental standards.
- Maintains supervisor-level cashier access to MICROS in good standing.
- Cooks food in large quantities by following recipes and operating procedures. Performs display batch cooking during service hours.
- Reads computer generated recipes and menus for the preparation of menu items.
- Provides customer service by displaying and explaining product, making some sales transactions and providing general information.
- Assists in supervising student employees and trains new employees according to department procedures.
- Assists in rotation of product.
- Maintains basic security awareness and notifies security staff when problems arise.
- Cleans cooking equipment, work areas, food areas, counters, floors, food carts, trays, furniture, utensils, dishes, pots and pans by scraping, hand washing and machine washing.
- Peels, chops, washes and cooks foods for standardized branded dishes.
- Transports food to and from storage areas, loads food carts, transports food to food truck and serves food to diners.
- Assists other food services staff with the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Roasts, fries, boils, broils and seasons meats, fish, poultry, vegetables and other foods required for daily meals.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes.
- Uses kitchen utensils and equipment to prepare salads and other simple foods.
- Operates cutlery, grinders and slicers to prepare and portion food for cooking.
- Evaluates food for quality, quantity, appearance, temperature and taste by tasting and observing to determine proper freshness, preparation and portioning in adherence to standards.
- Stores foods in sanitary storage areas and at proper temperature to prevent spoilage.
- Communicates with employees of a higher grade to report food and menu problems.
- Makes coffee.
- Separates and removes trash and garbage, and places them in designated containers.
- Performs other duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- One year cooking experience in the hospitality trade.
- Ability to cook a variety of standardized meals and to assist in the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Ability and willingness to adhere to departmental standards for hygiene and dress code.
- Ability to deal tactfully with customers and other employees.
- Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the handling and serving of food.
- Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the care and use of kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability to use kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability and stamina to perform manual tasks including: standing for long periods of time, lifting and carrying heavy objects, and working under conditions of seasonal high and low temperatures.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to provide training, work assignments and functional supervision to student employees.
- Ability to give oral and/or written instructions in a precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to establish rapport, maintain harmonious working relationships and deal effectively with customers and agency personnel from varied backgrounds.
- Willingness and ability to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays and nights.
- Willingness and ability to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors, seasonal high and low temperatures and sharp surfaces.
- Ability to read and understand recipes.
- Willingness and ability to communicate with customers while performing display cooking.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
May require balancing, carrying, pulling/pushing. repetitive movement, standing, bending, reaching, sitting, twisting, and lifting.
Tuesday-Thursday 6pm-2am and Friday-Saturday 9pm-5am; may require weekends and holidays,
Grade 8 Step 1
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action