Job no: 504411
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Categories: Public Relations, Marketing, Communications
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Responsible for the project management of MARCOM projects in support of the campus-wide communications goals. Builds the infrastructure of each project’s work plan and manages the project successfully though completion. Creates work standards for projects; establishes and defines timelines, staffing roles and responsibilities, specific outcomes, and clear measures for quality and success. Establishes strong collaborative relationships with campus clients by: 1) providing strategic insights which improve the overall effectiveness and efficiency of college/department level communications and 2) providing project management to ensure on- time and on-quality delivery of projects.
- Responsible for project and client management. Directs and develops the formal infrastructure for each project’s work plan that outlines scope, goals, deliverables, required resources, and timing for each project.
- Provides leadership and guidance to the Client Services team to ensure campus-wide consistency, effectiveness, and quality across all communications projects. Works cross-functionally to ensure department directors and internal teams have the appropriate information and resources. Creates work standards for projects; establishes and defines staffing roles and responsibilities, specific outcomes, and clear measures for quality and success. Ensures all communication team members have visibility into the work pipeline.
- Serves as the primary point of contact to whom all questions/issues/concerns about the project should be referred. Acts as a conduit for client and team leaders to clearly communicate expectations and provide and establish a clear set of project goals. Maintains strong relationships and communicates regularly with clients. Actively monitors client satisfaction. Provides status reports to client defining project progress, changes, problems and solutions.
- Effectively manages project development from initiation to completion. Establishes policies and procedures and operating guidelines to facilitate efficient client communications and expectations. Looks for opportunities to deliver content in a way that is nimble and innovative, leveraged across all platforms and is in line with UR’s strategic plan. Interacts and follows through with the client to determine needs and provides feedback for improving delivery. Resolves any issues and solve problems throughout the project life cycle. Acts decisively in critical situations or to circumvent a potential problem.
- Maintains accountability for project results. Directs systems, including project management systems, routinely assessing process maps and associated links to system. Develops performance metrics that link to strategic and operational tracking goals. Ensures project status, issues and successes are communicated to project team and documented appropriately. Maintains and tracks communications performance metrics over time, includes administration of customer feedback and satisfaction surveys for each project. Ensures all project documents are safely archived following project completion.
- Engages and manages relationships with external vendors to support and augment projects as necessary. Ensures relationships are closely monitored and regularly evaluated with respect to budget, value added and overall impact on achieving goals.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree: communications, business marketing or related field and five years experience in project management or related area.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects which are strategic in nature
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with assigned clients
- Familiarity with project management tools and/or software packages.
- Experience working in a team oriented, collaborative environment and priorities.
- Excellent communications, leadership, problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from senior management and other departments.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, facilitation and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to execute projects on time and on budget.
PSU Level: 28
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a cover letter, resume and the name and contact information of three professional references by February 5, 2020 to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend