Postdoctoral Research Associate - Health Promotion & Policy
Job no: 508533
Work type: Post Doc (Amherst Only)
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Health Promotion & Policy
Union: Post Doc
Categories: Postdoctoral Research Associate
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department of Health Promotion and Policy within the School of Public Health and Health Sciences at the UMass Amherst seeks candidates for a full-time grant-funded postdoctoral associate. The successful candidate will work directly with Dr. Kimberley Geissler, Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management, and Dr. Laura Attanasio, Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management. This position will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to examine health care utilization, coordination of care, and access to care using health insurance enrollment and claims data within ongoing research projects. The postdoctoral associate will be responsible for cleaning, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting study results. Likely topics include postpartum health care as well as care for individuals with mental illness, depending on candidate interest and experience.
- PhD with research experience in health economics, health services research, biostatistics, epidemiology, public health, or related discipline;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Understanding of epidemiological and biostatistical principles and methods;
- Advanced knowledge of statistical software such as Stata, SPSS, R, or SAS;
- Data management and analysis experience using survey or administrative data
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Previous experience working with health insurance claims data and/or analyzing large datasets;
- SAS and/or Stata programming experience;
- Familiarity with a Linux server computing environment.
- Data management;
- Data cleaning, subsetting, and subsequent analysis of health insurance claims data;
- Work independently on programming, analytic, and dissemination tasks;
- Collaborate with team members on project planning and implementation;
- Participate in team meetings as required;
- Contribute to the drafting of related manuscripts and other dissemination materials as appropriate;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Typical Office Environment
- M-F 40 hours per week
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials for priority consideration by June 23, 2021. Position will remain open until filled.
- A cover letter that includes a statement of research experience and interests,
- A curriculum vitae,
- PDF copies of a recent publication or writing sample,
- Contact information of three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend